Eric has been scooping me on some stuff this week. I'm grateful for it because it makes my job a little easier; just make sure to look for his link posts if you haven't seen them already.
This week's reviews & analysis:
• The Honolulu Star-Bulletin looks at Love and Rockets: New Stories #1 by the Hernandez Brothers
• Read About Comics recommends the third issue of Baobab by Igort
• The Boston Globe notes the New York Times' review of Jules Feiffer's Explainers and adds their two cents
• Alex Siddons learns something from Alex by Mark Kalesniko...
• ... and the Graphic Novel Challenge Blog reads Kalesniko's Mail Order Bride
• HappyGlyphs Comics looks at Krazy & Ignatz 1943-1944 by George Herriman
• Are You a Serious Comic Book Reader? on Ghost World: Special Edition by Daniel Clowes
• Derik Badman notes a few unusual Schulz panels in The Complete Peanuts 1967-1968
• Moonlighting for comiXology, The Comics Journal's Kristy Valenti attempts to synch reading Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron by Daniel Clowes with its musical soundtrack by Victor Banana (a.k.a. Tim Hensley)
• Comic Book Resources' list of "the 20 most significant comics in American comics history" (in terms of the industry) includes Gil Kane's Blackmark (in its original incarnation rather than our reprint) and, duh, Love and Rockets #1
• The Bloghorn, web mouthpiece of the UK's Professional Cartoonists' Organisation, is "full of beans" over the work of Fletcher Hanks as collected in I Shall Destroy All the Civilized Planets!
• Beware of spoilers as PLAYBACK:stl checks out Johnny Ryan's Angry Youth Comix #14
• Our Humbug teaser excites The Hipster Dad and commenters on The Beat
And other items of note:
• Here's Tintin as drawn by Robert Goodin
• headsOnBoards files a terrific report from the Kim Deitch retrospective exhibit at MoCCA
• Design blog Farmidable digs into the Flickr activity of Fanta art director Jacob Covey
• Anders Nilsen presents recent selections from his sketchbook
• Jeff Elden discusses the influence of Charles M. Schulz and includes a photo of his Charlie Brown tattoo