|Fantagraphics at ECCC 2015|
|Written by Jen Vaughn | Filed under Lucy Knisley, Kristy Valenti, Gary Groth, events, Eric Reynolds, Ed Piskor, Ed Luce, Don Rosa||23 Mar 2015 9:48 AM|
Emerald City ComiCon is on the horizon and we're ecstatic to have so many special guests this year with fantastic new books, guests, panels about the books, cartoonists, the biz and even one on Fantagraphics' fantastic book design! Washington State Convention Center is the place to be on Friday, March 27th - Sunday, March 29th you can find all of the great comics at booth 308! Our debut books include the following:
• Wuvable Oaf by Ed Luce The texceptionally hairy ex-wrestler Oaf lives in San Francisco, taking care of his 27 cats while looking for romance in the City by the Bay. Wuvable Oaf is a unique romance story and artist Ed Luce's debut graphic novel; delivering laughs, sweet romance, and a diverse cast of characters-both human and feline. Out in Stores: April 2015 $29.99
• Angry Youth Comix by Johnny Ryan Now, for the first time, all fourteen issues of Ryan's career-defining comic book series Angry Youth Comix (2000-2008) are collected in one place. All the comics, the covers, and even the contentious letters pages, in one toilet-ready brick shithouse, taking full advantage of the medium's absurdist potential for maximum laughs. Out in Stores: April 2015 $49.99Violent Girls by Richard Sala (FU Press) A limited edition portfolio featuring 44 action portraits lovingly inspired by the kind of dangerous females who have populated pulp fiction and B-movies throughout the history of pop culture-blazing their way through every kind of genre, potboiler, cliffhanger, and fever dream imaginable. Available exclusively at comic conventions and at the Fantagraphics online store, $35.00
• Walt Disney's Donald Duck "The Pixelated Parrot" by Carl Barks Carl Barks delivers another superb collection of clever plot twists, laugh-out-loud comedy, and all-around cartooning brilliance. Donald gives Uncle Scrooge a parrot for his birthday, but the feathered troublemaker escapes with the combination to Scrooge's safe holding "ninety tons of money." Hijinks ensue as Donald and his nephews set off on an unexpected adventure to recover the lovesick bird. Out in Stores: May 2015 $29.99
• Sheriff of Bullet Valley, Starring Walt Disney's Donald Duck by Carl Barks When a passel of extra-sneaky, extra-ornery high-tech cattle rustlers strikes the good citizens of Bullet Valley, Donald Duck bravely dons a badge to become the "Sheriff of Bullet Valley." This is the second entry in our new line of affordable kid-friendly Donald Duck books: just-right half-height books packed with fun, laughs, and adventure. Out in Stories: April 2015 $9.99
• Willard Mullin's Casey at the Bat by Willard Mullin and Ernest Thayer In 1953, in conjunction with the fiftieth anniversary of the World Series, legendary cartoonist Willard Mullin created images illustrating one of America's best-loved poems: Ernest Thayer's "Casey at the Bat." With a preface by Yogi Berra and an essay on the history of both "Casey" and Mullin's images by noted baseball historian Tim Wiles, this edition of "Casey" is the most authentic ever produced. A keepsake for the ages. Available now, $9.99.
Fantagraphics Table Signing Schedule
11-12 Lucy Knisley
12-2 Ed Luce
2-3 Don Rosa
5-6 Ed Piskor
12-1 Ed Piskor
1-2 Don Rosa
3-5 Ed Luce
5-6 Lucy Knisley
11-1 Lucy Knisley
1-2 Don Rosa
3-4 Ed Piskor
WHERE can you find us? Why at booth 308.
Fantagraphics is proud to be on a sh&*#$&(ton of panels at ECCC this year. Here they are in all their glory.
High Res and Lo-Fi: Music and Comics
Friday, March 27th 3:50pm
Hall E (TCC 303)
Cartoonists Ed Piskor (Hip Hop Family Tree), Ed Luce (Wuvable Oaf), Love and Rockets publisher and editor Eric Reynolds plus local radio station's book blogger Chris Estey will talk about the relationship between music and comics: rhythm, timing, style, zeitgeist, and more.
Carl Barks and Don Rosa: Duck Tales
Friday, March 27th, 6:00pm
Hall C (TCC 301)
Join Fantagraphics's Gary Groth, J. Michael Catron, Mike Baehr as they talk about Carl Barks and Don Rosa, WITH Don Rosa, who created characters and adventures that have thrilled and delighted audiences of all ages, worldwide, for more than half a century.
Harvey Kurtzman: The Man Who Created MAD
Saturday, March 28th 4:30pm
Hall B (WSCC 602-603)
Bill Schelly has written the first biography of the creator of MAD magazine, Harvey Kurtzman. Kurtzman is not only a seminal figure in American humor a major influence on The Simpsons, Stephen Colbert, Judd Apatow, Conan O'Brien, and many others. Publisher and editor Gary Groth (Fantagraphics, The Comics Journal), book editor Kristy Valenti and Schelly will have a discussion about Kurtzman's legacy, his life, and the new book. *Panel attendees will receive a coupon for Harvey Kurtzman for in-store purchase at our Georgetown store!
Comics Education: The Past Ten Years
Sunday, March 29th, 11:50AM
Hall E (TCC 303)
2015 will be the 10th anniversary of the founding of the Center for Cartoon Studies. In that time Institute graduates have gone on to become educators themselves, and new comics education programs have popped up across the country. CCS Alumni Melanie Gillman, Beth Hetland, Jen Vaughn and Colleen Frakes will discuss the current state of comics education, the pros and cons of a degree in comics, as well as the program options available across the country for interested students and teachers.
Hire Me! From Comics Fan to Comic Professional
Sunday, March 29th at 12:30pm.
Hall D (TCC 302)
Every day, behind the scenes people like editors, designers, marketers, even programmers work hard to make sure the comics you love get from the creator hands to your hands. Now's your chance to learn how these comics luminaries and tastemakers got their start. Join David Steinberger (comiXology co-founder and CEO) and a panel of outstanding comics professionals like Hank Kanalz (SVP Vertigo & Integrated Publishing at DC Entertainment), Michael Martz (Executive Editor at Marvel Comics), Jacq Cohen (Fantagraphics Books, Director of Publicity & Promotions), Jen Vaughn (Fantagraphics Books, Marketing and Events Manager) and Christine Dinh (BOOM! Studios Brand Communications Manager) as they impart the knowledge you need to get your foot in the door and become a comics industry rock star.
Bad Ass Business Lady
Sunday, March, 29th 2:10PM
Hall G (TCC 305)
You did it! You became a business lady! Now join a panel discussion of becoming your true form: a bad ass business lady. Leveled up comics pros Marissa Louise, Georgia Webber, Jen van Meter, Jen Vaughn and Gwendolyn Lynch will discuss saying 'no' and meaning it, how to stop fearing the IRS, special deductions, promotions and benefits, effective self promotion, and the ultimate topic: work life balance.
By Design: Fantagraphics Books
Sunday, March 29th 4pm
Hall C (TCC 301)
Seattle's Fantagraphics Books (The Complete Peanuts, Ghost World) is world renowned for its innovative (and often imitated) book design. Publisher Gary Groth, graphic designers Jacob Covey, Tony Ong, and Keeli McCarthy will talk about the challenges inherent in visually interpreting narrative art, translating archival comics into today's marketplace, and more.
There are also some parties a-going on so don't forget to check out the crazy parties happening. Two of our cartoonists with hot and fresh comics out will be at a Pre-ECCC bash called The 2015 Comic Book All-Star Party at Acrane Comics. Ed Luceof Wuvable Oaf and Ed Piskor of Hip Hop Family Tree will be blowing up the neighborhood of Ballard signing comics and books. Arcane will keep you refreshed with free Hillard's beer and there will be a food truck on site, Don Lucho's---oooh, I can taste it now! Thursday, March 26th at 6pm at 5809 15th Ave NW, Seattle, WA 98107.
The number of guests hits at least 20-30 people for this blow out: Ed Luce, Ed Piskor, Farel Dalrymple, Alexis Ziritt, Simon Roy, Matt Southworth, Ed Brisson, Johnnie Christmas, Andrew MacLean, Paul Maybury and many many more!Funny, there's other event that is all women (or will be) that is in the AM and non-alcohol-fueled! The Joon Mixer for Kickass Women:
A casual networking event for women & women identifying in comics. "Remember your business cards for a chance to win a chocolate dragons egg from Truffle Cottage, graphic novels from Fantagraphics, or a 'Comics Are For Everyone' T-shirt from NW Press. Refreshments and door prizes courtesy of donors." Saturday March 28th 9:00 AM to 11:00 Beer Garden,WSCC Level 1 (near the Union Street entrance) (Non-alcoholic event)
We're so looking foward to all the cool comics, fans and fun this weekend! See you all there at booth 308!