|TONIGHT in Georgetown|
|Written by Jacob Covey | Filed under Tony Millionaire, Maakies||9 May 2009 11:20 AM|
DETAILS HERE. Original art. New book. Tony signing. Why would you miss this?
Search / Login
Sign up for our email newsletters for updates on new releases, events, special deals and more.
New strips for your Friday evening:
The kids' tense hideout continues in this week's installment of Steven Weissman's in-progress pages from "Blue Jay," an epic 51-page story from Chocolate Cheeks, the next collection of the Yikes! gang's adventures....
Your late Friday Online Commentary & Diversions:
• Review: "Jaime [Hernandez]'s entry [in Love and Rockets: New Stories #1]... is like a huge riff on what might have happened if superhero comics started their evolutionary path by focusing on more female-centered concerns instead of testosterone-fueled fisticuffs... Gilbert's contributions are hard to describe, mainly because they are so surreal. They really have to be experienced and interpreted on your own." - John Jakala, Sporadic Sequential
• Oddity: "...last night I had a dream about an issue of Thrizzle that was in a sideways format and written by Art Spiegelman and illustrated by Steve Ditko..." - Timmy Williams, The Daily Cross Hatch
Robert Pollard is having a spring cleaning sale of original collage art, including many pieces featured in our book Town of Mirrors: The Reassembled Imagery of Robert Pollard (the piece above was used for the back cover, for instance). There are unframed pieces and framed pieces starting here.
Now available for preview and pre-order: Tales Designed to Thrizzle Vol. 1 by Michael Kupperman. The first 4 issues of the smash-hit humor comic series are now collected into this spiffy hardcover volume, with the art upgraded from the original duotone into glorious full color! See why Kupperman is revered by fellow comedy geniuses like Graham Linehan (The IT Crowd), Andy Richter (The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien), and Robert Smigel (Saturday Night Live, Triumph the Insult Comic Dog), who provides the book's introduction. This book is scheduled to debut at the MoCCA Art Festival in NYC in June; it should be in stock and ready to ship in late June and in stores approximately 4 weeks after that (subject to change).
View a photo & video slideshow preview embedded here. Click here if it is not visible, and/or to view it larger in a new window (recommended). And at our product info page, download an exclusive 10-page PDF excerpt!
Plus, as an extra bonus, decorate your computer screen or mobile phone with this exclusive free desktop wallpaper based on the back cover art! Select the size that matches your screen resolution:
Your Daily Online Commentary & Diversions:
• List: Library Journal recommends Paul Hornschemeier's Mother, Come Home as one of "14 Graphic Novels Honoring Mothers" (in the "Loss" subcategory), calling it "An exquisitely written and beautifully drawn exploration of grief."
• Review: "The latest in this anthology series... is what you need to give your really smart adult friends who are starting to enjoy sequential art but don't want to begrime themselves with the whole superheroics rigmarole: Because this is an excellent collection of work (comprising the serious, the funny, the weird, the contemplative, the goofy, and other flavors sublime or ridiculous) by a variety of new artists and old... Give this Mome [Vol. 14] to someone you love; they'll be queuing up to buy the next iteration." - Wayne Alan Brenner, The Austin Chronicle
• Preview: Dave's Comics is intrigued by Monologues for Calculating the Density of Black Holes by Anders Nilsen
This exclusive, ultra-limited edition (just 30 copies are available) of the new 600-page hardcover Luba omnibus graphic novel features a special, deluxe cloth binding, and each copy will be signed and numbered with an original hand-drawn sketch by Gilbert Hernandez. See photos below — more images will become available when we receive the books back from Gilbert (if the edition does not sell out beforehand). The ultimate collectible for the elite Beto fan, available ONLY direct from Fantagraphics.
Note: Despite previous indications that this edition would be a future convention exclusive, we have instead decided to make it available via website and phone orders. If you have already ordered the standard edition and would like to upgrade, please call (1-800-657-1100; 206-524-1967 outside the U.S.) or email us before placing your order. Act quickly — supplies are extremely limited!
600-page black & white 7" x 10.25" hardcover • $100.00
In February 2008 a Portuguese Prince Valiant fan published a special, English-language black and white edition of the first two years of Prince Valiant, shot from the very best proof sheets and carefully restored. Due to contractual limitations on territory this edition was NEVER made available in the U.S. — until now! By special arrangement with King Features Syndicate and the publisher, Fantagraphics has a little under 300 copies available for mail and website orders. They just arrived in our warehouse.
Fantagraphics is the EXCLUSIVE distributors in North America. This book is not available in comics shops (well, except for the Seattle Fantagraphics store). It is not available in bookstores. It is not available through Amazon.com. (We expect copies will turn up on eBay and Amazon's second-hand store at hugely inflated prices before the year is out, though.) This is it! And there are, as we said, fewer than 300 copies. We expect to be sold out within no more than a month or two.
It's a gorgeous, big 11" x 14" hardcover, and it's a thrill to see Foster's sumptuous linework for these first two years reproduced so crisply. Every Foster fan will need one! (It also includes a good, heavily illustrated five-page introduction chock full of rare Foster art.) See more images in our photo slideshow embedded below. Click here if it is not visible, and/or to view it larger in a new window (recommended).
Price is $35.00 per copy.
If you want to pre-order the full-color Fantagraphics edition of Prince Valiant 1937-1938 (due out in June 2009) as well, we're offering the two together at $55.00 (so you'd be getting $10 off the Fanta edition) -- just select that option when placing your order. (Our edition will be available for pre-order on its own in a few days from now.) Remember, the two books contain the EXACT SAME STORY MATERIAL — just one is black and white, and one is color — totally different reading and visual experiences. Order online or call 1-800-657-1100 (206-524-1967 in Canada).
Please note this is ONLY for North American customers (customers outside North America can order copies direct from the publisher: mcaldas59 [at] sapo [dot] pt), there are NO wholesale discounts available (although 20/20 Club discounts do apply), and only ONE copy per customer.
100-page black & white 11" x 14" hardcover • $35.00