* Other People's Publications ** Yeah, You Know Me.
Dig your teeth into Relish: My Life in the Kitchen, the new graphic memoir from New York cartoonist Lucy Knisley, out now from our friends at First Second!
Larry had an advance copy behind the counter a few months ago, and I was instantly charmed by Lucy's stories of growing up as the daughter of "foodies." Her love of food propels her around the world, finding the perfect croissants in France and addictive candy in Tokyo.
And perfectly enough, interspersed between these vignettes is recipes from Lucy herself! A comic that helps promote healthy eating? Yes, it's true!
You can get a taste of Relish: My Life in the Kitchen this coming Friday, April 19th at the Fantagraphics Bookstore & Gallery as Lucy herself stops by for a slideshow and signing at 7:00 PM! And our own Chef Larry Reid will be whipping up some of the dishes from the book, which is something you won't want to miss in itself!
Fantagraphics Bookstore & Gallery is located at 1201 S. Vale Street in Seattle's Georgetown district. Open daily 11:30 to 8:00 PM, Sundays until 5:00 PM. Phone: (206) 658-0110. Bon Appétit!
• Chicago, IL: The legendary Gilbert Hernandez will be signing at the infamous Quimby's! Join him at 7:00 PM for the slideshow “From Funnybooks to Graphic Novels” featuring the comics of his childhood, in addition to a Q+A and signing. It's a can't-miss evening, for sure! (more info)
Friday, April 19th
• Seattle, WA: New York cartoonist Lucy Knisley will be serving up fun at the book-signing party for Relish: My Life in the Kitchen at the Fantagraphics Bookstore & Gallery! Lucy will give a slideshow presenation, and our own Larry Reid will be providing snacks made from recipes in the book! I got to sample a cookie yesterday --- delish!!! (more info)
We've always known Peter had excellent taste -- as we've mentioned before on the FLOG, Peter once collaborated with our own Michael Kupperman, and has long been a hugefan of his on Twitter. So, I suppose we shouldn't have been surprised at all to see him tweet this the other day:
One of my favorite comedians meets one of my favorite artists? Be still my heart!!! Do you want to be cool like Peter and own some original artwork from Drew? Well, I'm sorry, you will never be as cool as Peter. But, click this link and you can at least get some gorgeous limited-edition prints from Drew!
Host Danny Fingeroth will ask this master cartoonist and satirist about his life and career, and Drew will unveil previews of new, unreleased work, including his "Legends of Comic Books" series!
Drew will also discuss/argue all things Old Jewish Comedians, Sideshow Freaks, comic book legends, urban legends, (Milton Berle, Danny Thomas, Billy Barty, Lester...), Shemp Howard, Joe Franklin, Abe Vigoda, Sammy Petrillo, Sophie Tucker, Tor Johnson, Howlin' Wolf, Officer Joe Bolton, Harvey Kurtzman, Dave Berg, Zagnut, Jimmy Grippo, Plonsky, etc.
Special guests to be announced, once funds are secured for their cab fares.
Tickets are $12 in advance, $17 on the day-of-show and at the door, so you should probably get yours now online at Brown Paper Tickets. This event runs from 6:30-8:30 PM. The Soho Gallery for Digital Art is located at 138 Sullivan St, between Prince & Houston.
• New York City, NY: Our own James Romberger will be part of the infamous CAROUSEL series hosted by R. Sikoryak! Join James and this all-star cast at Dixon Place [ 161A Chrystie Street (btwn Rivington & Delancey) ] starting at 7:30 PM! (more info)
• Seattle, WA:Well, read the sign! Jen Vaughn, our most marvelous Marketing/PR/Outreach Fiend, is teaming up with her best friend Nomi Kane for a comics art show at Chocolati Cafe [ 1716 N. 45th Street ]. Join them for the opening reception tonight from 6:00 to 8:00 PM, but even if you can't, you'll still have until Friday, May 3rd to see their exhibit! (more info)
• Brooklyn, NY: It's your last day to check out A Little Knotty, an art show by our own Dave Cooper showing at the Cotton Candy Machine! Take in the original watercolored drawings, inkings, new prints and fun merchandise while you can! (more info)
• New York City, NY: And it's your last day to visit us at MoCCA, at tables B64, B65, C80, C81 -- right in front as you walk through the main entrance! (more info)
Saturday, April 6th // 1:00 - 2:00 PM Guest of Honor Bill Griffith in conversation with Paul Di Filippo [in the Programming Room in the Lower Level]
Where will all these wonderful books and artists be, you might be wondering? Why, tables B64, B65, C80, C81 -- right in front as you walk through the main entrance! (See a bigger version of this map here.) Our PR/Marketing duo of Jacq & Jen will be happy to see you at MoCCA!
Want to hug a record but afraid you'll scratch it? Raffie and Foppie are for you!
Chicago-based label FPE Records asked our own Ron Regé, Jr. to draw some dancing records for an ad, and once they saw the results, they wanted to hug 'em! So, the idea for stuffed Raffie and Foppie record dolls was born.
FPE currently launched a Kickstarter to get these cuties manufactured, so check it out and get yourself some huggable new friends!
Register and Login to receive full member benefits, including members-only special offers, commenting privileges on Flog! The Fantagraphics Blog, newsletters and special announcements via email, and stuff we haven't even thought of yet. Membership is free and spam-free, so Sign Up Today!