• Ottawa, ON: Oh, Ottawa! Dave Cooper presents his latest art show Eddy Table and Other Misbehavers at the La Petite Mort Gallery! Dave will have a ton of affordable drawings and doodles available, as well as a cool super-affordable, specially-priced inaugural fine art print to celebrate his new printing venture! (more info)
• Ottawa, ON: Ottawa, it's a two-fer-Thursday! World-famous cartoonist and filmmaker Max Andersson will screen his first feature-length film Tito on Ice as part of the Ottawa International Animation Festival! Don't miss it! (more info)
• Burlington, VT: Don't miss Chris Wrightat the 2013 Burlington Book Festival! He'll be part of the panel "The Novel Graphic: A Summit", alongside Vermont’s first Cartoonist Laureate, James Kochalka; award-winning author and artist Genese Grill; and legendary illustrator, author, and New Yorker cartoonist Ed Koren. (more info)
• Ottawa, ON: Ottawa, were you not listening when I said "don't miss it" back on Thursday? Were you too busy enjoying the fun at Dave Cooper's art show? Well, you've got another chance to see Max Andersson's feature-length film Tito on Ice as part of the Ottawa International Animation Festival! Go, go, go! (more info)
You know you don't wanna miss our schedule of signings, our list of debuts, and our programming, and that's a'comin'... but, here are a few other things you don't wanna miss this SPX weekend!
Saturday, September 14th
• 5:30 PM: Carousel returns to this year’s SPX with a great line up of readers and drawers, including our own Michael Kupperman, Leslie Stein, and Anders Nilsen, along with Lisa Hanawalt, Sam Henderson, and Kriota Willberg. Hosted by your pal, and ours, R. Sikoryak.
Sunday, September 15th
• 1:30 PM: What does this poster mean?! Mark Twain as Val Kilmer?! Does this mean Michael Kupperman is packing those eyebrows for Bethesda? Just get yourself over to the White Flint Auditorium to find out.
Oh, how ironic that Dave Cooper's pillowy female forms will be on display at the La Petite Mort Gallery in Ottawa...
But indeed, they will, in a show titled Eddy Table and Other Misbehavers! So head over there on Thursday, September 19th at 7:00 PM for a wonderful show, affiliated with the great Ottawa International Animation Festival! (You might recall, another Fantagraphics artist Max Andersson will screen first feature-length film Tito on Ice at this animation festival, too!)
Dave will have a ton of affordable drawings and doodles available, as well as a cool super-affordable, specially-priced inaugural fine art print to celebrate his new printing venture! There will also be live music, drinks, and, Dave teases, maybe even a couple of musical surprises...
• Seattle, WA: Our very own Jason T Miles will be part of group art show at Cairo, comprised of collaborative and independent ink drawings with artists Darin Shuler and Aidan Fitzgerald! Join them from 7:00 to 9:00 PM for art, words, and drinks! (more info)
• Berkeley, CA: Alternative comix queen Dame Darcy descends upon The Escapist Comic Bookstore for an evening of readings and signings,starting at 5:00 PM! (more info)
• Oslo, Norway: Jason will be signing at Tronsmo Bookstore at 2:00 PM. Along with his Fantagraphics titles, he'll also be signing Pop!, his new collection of illustrations published by Norway's Jippi Comics! (more info)
Get ready, Norway, 'cause the brilliant artist Jason is comin' home this month!
On Thursday, September 12th, the Grafill Gallery [ Rosenkrantz Gate 21 ] in Oslo will debut a new exhibit of Jason's works, including pages from Lost Cat, alongside some new paintings, like this one of Bukowski.
An opening night reception begins at 6:00 PM, and the exhibit will be on display through October 4th.
And then on Saturday, September 14th, join Jason at Tronsmo Bookstore [ Kr. Augusts Gate 19 ] at 2:00 PM for a signing. Along with his Fantagraphics titles, he'll also be signing Pop!, his new collection of illustrations published by Norway's Jippi Comics.
Join Charles from 5:00 to 8:00 PM for an "evening of comics and awkward conversation" at Comix Connection, located at 6200 Carlisle Pike in the very specifically-named city of Mechanicsburg, PA. Will they let Charles return as a successful cartoonist, but failed mechanic? Find out later this month!
Berkeley! Prepare to be bewitched as alternative comix queen Dame Darcy descends upon The Escapist Comic Bookstore on Saturday, September 14th!
Join her at 5:00 PM as she reads from her most recent work, Handbook For Hot Witches, and signs copies of her classic Meat Cake! Hopefully she'll have her handmade dolls and paperdoll books with her, too!
It's a dream come true! The great Jim Woodring is heading down the coast to San Francisco for a special performance with his friend and collaborator Bill Frisell on Saturday, September 14th.
At 7:30 PM, Bill takes the stage with his band, Beautiful Dreamers, with Jim providing live digital illustrations, projected on the SFJAZZ Center Miner Auditorium video screen, to accompany and inspire the music.
Or, bring the kiddos at 2:00 PM for a matinee performance that afternoon with a solo set from Bill, and more of Jim's imaginative illustrations!
Tickets are on sale now (evening or matinee), but you should just go to both. The SFJAZZ Center is located at 201 Franklin Street, at the corner of Franklin and Fell streets in San Francisco’s Hayes Valley neighborhood.
On November 24th, artist Janet Hamlin will bring her sketches from Cuba to her hometown of Nyack, NY.
Join illustrator/instructor Hamlin for a discussion of Sketching Guantanamo: Court Sketches of the Military Tribunals, 2006-2013, a collection of her most potent and revealing sketches drawn during the 9/11 trials, as well a chronicle of her experience at Guantanamo, in general. From 2:00 to 3:00 PM, she'll be discussing these notorious and historic trials, and showing her exclusive, powerful illustrations.
Earlier this year, world-famous cartoonist and filmmaker Max Andersson screened his first feature-length film Tito on Ice at the Seattle International Film Festival. And now, Tito on Ice is taking on Canada with screenings at the Ottawa International Animation Festival in September!
Catch this inventive documentary on Thursday, September 19th and Sunday, September 22nd at the Empire Theatres in the World Exchange Plaza [ 111 Albert Street ].
To promote their Fantagraphics book Bosnian Flat Dog, Andersson and fellow Swedish artist Lars Sjunnesson toured the countries of former Yugoslavia with a mummified Marshal Tito in a refrigerator.
Now comes the documentary, Tito on Ice, which takes Super 8 footage of their tour and animates it with cardboard cutouts and garbage and other recycled materials. The result is a surreal trip through the Balkans that is part promotion, part performance art, and part history of Marshal Tito and the dissolution of Yugoslavia in the early 1990s. It’s also about the underground arts and music venues that popped up when the country split apart.
Through it all there is a comics creator’s eye at work: live-action interviews suddenly switch to animation, and more than 50 sets were built for the film, all shot and animated on Super 8 film. Tito on Ice is a joyous trip through the war torn subconscious of an underground artist.
Register and Login to receive full member benefits, including members-only special offers, commenting privileges on Flog! The Fantagraphics Blog, newsletters and special announcements via email, and stuff we haven't even thought of yet. Membership is free and spam-free, so Sign Up Today!