Harvard Book Store is opening up their 6500 sq. ft. warehouse in Somerville to the public this weekend, and are inviting dozens of local businesses to join them, including our friends at Million Year Picnic. On Sunday, October 6th, Hans will be signing at their table from 2:00 to 4:00 PM.
Well, you can get even more excited, 'cause the night before, they're presenting an evening of animation with noneother than Dash Shaw! Friday, November 9th, he'll present a screening of Limited Animation shorts, including the "very best episode" of Robotech! (I hope he means the one where Minmei wins the beauty pagaent...)
The fun starts at 8:00 PM. Spectacle is located at 124 South 3rd Street, Brooklyn, between Bedford Avenue and Berry Street.
Also joining the authors will be special guests, famed artists Al Jaffee and Stan Goldberg to discuss their memories of working for owner Martin Goodman during the halcyon days of Marvel Comics in the 1940s and 50s!
All those in attendance will receive a special limited edition, tipped-in plate for the book, signed by the authors, and the cost of admission also gives you access to an exclusive signing session and catered reception afterwards (with cash bar).
Tickets are $20 non-members, $15 members, $10 students/seniors, and are available online here. The Society of Illustrators is located at 128 East 63rd Street.
Join our hometown hero Peter Bagge for a special evening this Thursday, September 26th, as he discusses his latest graphic novel Woman Rebel: The Margaret Sanger Story, released by our Canadian compadres Drawn & Quarterly!
How did Pete go from the slacker tales of Buddy Bradley in Hate to a story of a noted nineteenth century birth control activist, educator, a nurse, a mother, and founder of Planned Parenthood? We'll find out as journalist Cienna Madrid sits down with Pete at Town Hall [ 1119 Eighth Avenue, Seattle ] at 7:30 PM!
• Ottawa, ON: Oh, Ottawa! Dave Cooper presents his latest art show Eddy Table and Other Misbehavers at the La Petite Mort Gallery! Dave will have a ton of affordable drawings and doodles available, as well as a cool super-affordable, specially-priced inaugural fine art print to celebrate his new printing venture! (more info)
• Ottawa, ON: Ottawa, it's a two-fer-Thursday! World-famous cartoonist and filmmaker Max Andersson will screen his first feature-length film Tito on Ice as part of the Ottawa International Animation Festival! Don't miss it! (more info)
• Burlington, VT: Don't miss Chris Wrightat the 2013 Burlington Book Festival! He'll be part of the panel "The Novel Graphic: A Summit", alongside Vermont’s first Cartoonist Laureate, James Kochalka; award-winning author and artist Genese Grill; and legendary illustrator, author, and New Yorker cartoonist Ed Koren. (more info)
• Ottawa, ON: Ottawa, were you not listening when I said "don't miss it" back on Thursday? Were you too busy enjoying the fun at Dave Cooper's art show? Well, you've got another chance to see Max Andersson's feature-length film Tito on Ice as part of the Ottawa International Animation Festival! Go, go, go! (more info)
You know you don't wanna miss our schedule of signings, our list of debuts, and our programming, and that's a'comin'... but, here are a few other things you don't wanna miss this SPX weekend!
Saturday, September 14th
• 5:30 PM: Carousel returns to this year’s SPX with a great line up of readers and drawers, including our own Michael Kupperman, Leslie Stein, and Anders Nilsen, along with Lisa Hanawalt, Sam Henderson, and Kriota Willberg. Hosted by your pal, and ours, R. Sikoryak.
Sunday, September 15th
• 1:30 PM: What does this poster mean?! Mark Twain as Val Kilmer?! Does this mean Michael Kupperman is packing those eyebrows for Bethesda? Just get yourself over to the White Flint Auditorium to find out.
Oh, how ironic that Dave Cooper's pillowy female forms will be on display at the La Petite Mort Gallery in Ottawa...
But indeed, they will, in a show titled Eddy Table and Other Misbehavers! So head over there on Thursday, September 19th at 7:00 PM for a wonderful show, affiliated with the great Ottawa International Animation Festival! (You might recall, another Fantagraphics artist Max Andersson will screen first feature-length film Tito on Ice at this animation festival, too!)
Dave will have a ton of affordable drawings and doodles available, as well as a cool super-affordable, specially-priced inaugural fine art print to celebrate his new printing venture! There will also be live music, drinks, and, Dave teases, maybe even a couple of musical surprises...