Also joining the authors will be special guests, famed artists Al Jaffee and Stan Goldberg to discuss their memories of working for owner Martin Goodman during the halcyon days of Marvel Comics in the 1940s and 50s!
All those in attendance will receive a special limited edition, tipped-in plate for the book, signed by the authors, and the cost of admission also gives you access to an exclusive signing session and catered reception afterwards (with cash bar).
Tickets are $20 non-members, $15 members, $10 students/seniors, and are available online here. The Society of Illustrators is located at 128 East 63rd Street.
Join our hometown hero Peter Bagge for a special evening this Thursday, September 26th, as he discusses his latest graphic novel Woman Rebel: The Margaret Sanger Story, released by our Canadian compadres Drawn & Quarterly!
How did Pete go from the slacker tales of Buddy Bradley in Hate to a story of a noted nineteenth century birth control activist, educator, a nurse, a mother, and founder of Planned Parenthood? We'll find out as journalist Cienna Madrid sits down with Pete at Town Hall [ 1119 Eighth Avenue, Seattle ] at 7:30 PM!
• Ottawa, ON: Oh, Ottawa! Dave Cooper presents his latest art show Eddy Table and Other Misbehavers at the La Petite Mort Gallery! Dave will have a ton of affordable drawings and doodles available, as well as a cool super-affordable, specially-priced inaugural fine art print to celebrate his new printing venture! (more info)
• Ottawa, ON: Ottawa, it's a two-fer-Thursday! World-famous cartoonist and filmmaker Max Andersson will screen his first feature-length film Tito on Ice as part of the Ottawa International Animation Festival! Don't miss it! (more info)
• Burlington, VT: Don't miss Chris Wrightat the 2013 Burlington Book Festival! He'll be part of the panel "The Novel Graphic: A Summit", alongside Vermont’s first Cartoonist Laureate, James Kochalka; award-winning author and artist Genese Grill; and legendary illustrator, author, and New Yorker cartoonist Ed Koren. (more info)
• Ottawa, ON: Ottawa, were you not listening when I said "don't miss it" back on Thursday? Were you too busy enjoying the fun at Dave Cooper's art show? Well, you've got another chance to see Max Andersson's feature-length film Tito on Ice as part of the Ottawa International Animation Festival! Go, go, go! (more info)
You know you don't wanna miss our schedule of signings, our list of debuts, and our programming, and that's a'comin'... but, here are a few other things you don't wanna miss this SPX weekend!
Saturday, September 14th
• 5:30 PM: Carousel returns to this year’s SPX with a great line up of readers and drawers, including our own Michael Kupperman, Leslie Stein, and Anders Nilsen, along with Lisa Hanawalt, Sam Henderson, and Kriota Willberg. Hosted by your pal, and ours, R. Sikoryak.
Sunday, September 15th
• 1:30 PM: What does this poster mean?! Mark Twain as Val Kilmer?! Does this mean Michael Kupperman is packing those eyebrows for Bethesda? Just get yourself over to the White Flint Auditorium to find out.
Oh, how ironic that Dave Cooper's pillowy female forms will be on display at the La Petite Mort Gallery in Ottawa...
But indeed, they will, in a show titled Eddy Table and Other Misbehavers! So head over there on Thursday, September 19th at 7:00 PM for a wonderful show, affiliated with the great Ottawa International Animation Festival! (You might recall, another Fantagraphics artist Max Andersson will screen first feature-length film Tito on Ice at this animation festival, too!)
Dave will have a ton of affordable drawings and doodles available, as well as a cool super-affordable, specially-priced inaugural fine art print to celebrate his new printing venture! There will also be live music, drinks, and, Dave teases, maybe even a couple of musical surprises...
• Seattle, WA: Our very own Jason T Miles will be part of group art show at Cairo, comprised of collaborative and independent ink drawings with artists Darin Shuler and Aidan Fitzgerald! Join them from 7:00 to 9:00 PM for art, words, and drinks! (more info)
• Berkeley, CA: Alternative comix queen Dame Darcy descends upon The Escapist Comic Bookstore for an evening of readings and signings,starting at 5:00 PM! (more info)
• Oslo, Norway: Jason will be signing at Tronsmo Bookstore at 2:00 PM. Along with his Fantagraphics titles, he'll also be signing Pop!, his new collection of illustrations published by Norway's Jippi Comics! (more info)
Get ready, Norway, 'cause the brilliant artist Jason is comin' home this month!
On Thursday, September 12th, the Grafill Gallery [ Rosenkrantz Gate 21 ] in Oslo will debut a new exhibit of Jason's works, including pages from Lost Cat, alongside some new paintings, like this one of Bukowski.
An opening night reception begins at 6:00 PM, and the exhibit will be on display through October 4th.
And then on Saturday, September 14th, join Jason at Tronsmo Bookstore [ Kr. Augusts Gate 19 ] at 2:00 PM for a signing. Along with his Fantagraphics titles, he'll also be signing Pop!, his new collection of illustrations published by Norway's Jippi Comics.
Join Charles from 5:00 to 8:00 PM for an "evening of comics and awkward conversation" at Comix Connection, located at 6200 Carlisle Pike in the very specifically-named city of Mechanicsburg, PA. Will they let Charles return as a successful cartoonist, but failed mechanic? Find out later this month!