"Charles Schulz was an American treasure — an artist, philosopher, and keen observer of human life." – Bill Clinton
"The Complete Peanuts has framed Charles Schulz’s enduring masterpiece about as well any lifelong fan could’ve hoped." – "The Best Comics of the '00s: The Archives," The A.V. Club
"The Complete Peanuts confronts us afresh with what a brilliant, truly modern and totally weird idea it was to create a comic strip about a chronically depressed child..." – TIME
"Fantagraphics has won numerous awards for this series and they deserve them all for creating such a wonderful archive of this American treasure. This series is a must have for any Peanuts fan and can be enjoyed by the whole family. I wouldn't miss a volume." – The Christian Science Monitor
"Fantagraphics' heroic project (designed with subtle, quiet beauty by the caroonist called Seth) enables us to glimpse the moment when 'good ol' Charlie Brown' could say with frowning vehemence, 'The rest of this day can’t possibly hold any good for me!'... [Grade:] A” – Entertainment Weekly
Oh my gosh, gang, the advance copies of Peanuts Every Sunday: 1952-1955 by Charles M. Schulz are here and they are GAWRJUS. Even if you think "meh, I already have these strips in black & white in The Complete Peanuts, I don't need 'em in color," one look at this lovely, lovely book will convince you otherwise. Some lucky, lucky folks were able to pick up early copies at SPX this past weekend and we'll have a very limited amount at APE next month — everyone else will have to wait until late October or early November. Get on the early end of that window by pre-ordering now!
It's Peanuts! Every Sunday strip, in full color, together for the first time ever! What else do you need to know? OK, here are some other relevant facts:
• Using the same archival sources as The Complete Peanuts series, the line art has been crisply restored to our usual standards.
• The coloring is all-new, done by the lovely and talented Joanne Bagge (of the Seattle Bagges) and based on original tear sheets. As you can see in the excerpt, it's vibrant but slightly muted to give the same feeling as when the strips were originally printed on newsprint.
• Designed by our own Jacob Covey -- bold, yet understated.
• It's big -- fully twice the size of each volume of The Complete Peanuts!
• Yes, there will be slipcased sets. 10 volumes in total (released once a year), 5 box sets (every 2 years).
Our downloadable excerpt gives you the first 3 months of strips to read for free! The book is due in November for your holiday gift-shopping needs. Pre-order now for soonest delivery!
Boasting one of the most PACKED signing schedules of SPX and Fantagraphics' we have FOURTEEN people signing at our table (and a few more Fantagraphics' cartoonists are tabling all by their lonesome) You can find all these sweet 'n' sassy cartoonists and book debuts at tables W57-6, along the very rightmost wall.
As usual we have an action-packed signing schedule for you at San Diego Comic Con. Keep your schedules open so you can stop by our magnificent table and get your signatures hot and fresh in your books at - See more at: http://www.fantagraphics.com/?Itemid=113&option=com_myblog&show=San-Diego-Comic-Con-Debuts.html#sthash.199ZEXcU.dpuf
• Hip Hop Family Tree by Ed Piskor Yes yes y'all! This explosively entertaining, encyclopedic history will school you on the old school, taking you back to the early days of the music genre that changed global culture. Originally serialized on the hugely popular website Boing Boing, Hip Hop Family Tree is now collected in a single volume cleverly presented and packaged in a style mimicking the Marvel comics of the same era.
The only public visual record of the notorious, historic, carefully censored military trials at Guantanamo is Hamlin's courtroom sketches. This book collects her most potent and revealing sketches and chronicles her experience. - See more at: http://www.fantagraphics.com/index.php?keyword=sketching+guantanamo&search_type=titles&Search=Search&Itemid=62&option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse#sthash.xQzpBR6W.dpuf
Court Sketches of the Military Tribunals, 2006-2013 - See more at: http://www.fantagraphics.com/browse-shop/sketching-guantanamo-court-sketches-of-the-military-tribunals-2006-2013-oct.-2013.html?vmcchk=1#sthash.DF2ADBuc.dpuf
• Fran by Jim Woodring What is to become of the beloved trilobular chuckbuster Frank now that he has journeyed outside the Unifactor and met his soulmate, Fran? The answer is delivered here in devastatingly unpredictable fashion. Fans of Frank, connoisseurs of bizarre romance, and spelunkers in the radiant depths of graphic metaphysical psychodrama will want to add this singular cartoon adventure story to their lifetime reading list.
• Everybody is Stupid Except for Me (And Other Astute Observations) by Peter Bagge A decade of informed, provocative, cantankerous & hilarious cartoon opinion pieces from our favorite libertarian curmudgeon, on topics ranging from Stupid War to Stupid Sex and, of course, Stupid Politicians. BONUS: This new edition of the sold-out Everybody Is Stupid features an extra 32 pages of never-before-collected comics, including an epic biography of eccentric libertarian (and Ayn Rand contemporary) Isabel Mary Paterson.
• Treasury of Mini Comics Volume 1, edited by Michael Dowers Four decades of deliberate DIY cartoon rebellion! Collecting some of the best mini comics ever produced by some of the most creative artists in the world. In a do-it-yourself world, anything goes... boundaries are crossed, envelopes pushed, wounds opened. From the silliest fart or boob jokes to the most deeply felt "EMO" style poetry, mini comics creators have been uninhibited in their efforts to strive for something fresh, raw, and vital.
• Love and Rockets: The Covers by Gilbert and Jaime Hernandez (badass design by Jacob Covey) A beautiful, oversized art book featuring over 120 iconic comic covers (front & back) from the first 3 decades of Love and Rockets, collected for the first time in full color. The perfect gift for L&R fan, this book presents them without trade dress (logos, marketing hype, etc.) when possible, allowing the original cover illustrations to communicate on their own. With a fancy clear plastic book jacket, you need to grab a copy and return home a hero.
A beautiful, oversized art book featuring over 120 iconic comic covers (front & back) from the first 3 decades of Love and Rockets, collected for the first time in full color. The perfect gift for L&R fan, this book presents them without trade dress (logos, marketing hype, etc.) when possible, allowing the original cover illustrations to communicate on their own. With a fancy clear plastic book jacket, you need to grab a copy, get it signed and return home a hero. - See more at: http://www.fantagraphics.com/?Itemid=113&option=com_myblog&show=San-Diego-Comic-Con-Debuts.html#sthash.RzbNaI5J.dpuf
• Wandering Son Volume 5 by Shimura Takako In this volume of the acclaimed series about transgendered kids exploring their unfolding identities, we've reached a big event; the junior high school entrance ceremony. Envy and jealousy are prominent themes in Volume 5: Chiba-san is jealous of Takatsuki-san, for whom Nitori-kun still carries a torch. Maho envies Anna-chan's professionalism as a model. And Chii-chan's loyal sidekick, Shiri Momoko, is intensely jealous of anyone in whom Chii-chan shows the slightest interest. And so our protagonists set off on the journey to adolescence....
• Walt Disney's Donald Duck: Christmas on Bear Mountain by Carl Barks Uncle Scrooge's first appearance, in one of Barks's funniest holiday stories! "Christmas on Bear Mountain" is one of Barks's funniest holiday stories and a true landmark in comics history, and offers a fascinating look at a rough-edged, genuinely nasty character whom Barks would soon soften... Journey to Volcania, "down under" and the West Indies with Donald and the nephews. Plus seven 10-pagers and abundant critical and historical notes. Not available in stores until NOVEMBER!
• Walt Disney's Donald Duck Christmas Gift Box Set by Carl Barks A double dose of Disney's Donald Duck! A thoughtful, memorable, can't-miss special Christmas item handsomely presented in an inviting gift box set that will delight readers of any age. In these twin volumes, you'll find page after page after page of intrepid quests, daring adventures, and breathtaking escapes. Readers will be spellbound by these timeless classics - with their engaging plots, clever humor, and heartwarming themes.
We have some great news for Peanuts fans! First off, we're now offering Peanuts Every Sunday: 1952-1955 for pre-order, kicking off our new series of full-color complete Sunday Peanuts collections! Get in your order now and you'll be among the first people in the world to receive the book in November!
Second, our overseas customers have long been disappointed that we've been unable to offer Peanuts books for sale outside North America. Effective immediately, we can now also sell them to retail customers in Japan, China, India, Russia, Australia, New Zealand, and Scandinavia (Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland & Iceland)! Banzai! Skål! G'day! And to the rest of our European fans: we're working on it.
The approach of Fall always means one thing around here (at least for another couple of years), and that's the imminent arrival of the latest volume of The Complete Peanuts by Charles M. Schulz. The ol' blockhead graces the cover of the 20th installment of the long-running series, covering the years 1989-1990. Schulz continues to stretch his wings and experiment with the new variable format of his daily strips, and the jokes are just as warm and funny as ever, and increasingly reflective. Enigmatic author Lemony Snicket provides the introduction.
Our 17-page excerpt (for reading and downloading) includes strips for the entire month of January 1989 (along with some of the lovely incidental pages designed by Seth as always). This volume, and the box set of Volumes 19 and 20, are expected in October, and can be pre-ordered right now.
The landmark 20th volume of The Complete Peanuts by Charles M. Schulz is charging up on us like Snoopy going after Linus's blanket, and we have the advance copies to prove it! You got Chuck there on the cover (designed, as always, by Seth), and who better to introduce the series of unfortunate events that tends to befall the gang than mysterious author Lemony Snicket? Each volume collects a full two years of strips, daily and Sunday, in crisp black & white with a handy and entertaining Index and a brief bio of Schulz in the back. This will also be available in a box set with Vol. 19 -- the printer hasn't sent our sample copies of that yet but we'll show it to you when we get them. Pre-order now for delivery to you in October (subject to change) and check back here soon for more sneak peeks.
For the first time ever and for a VERY limited time (now through Saturday) The Complete Peanuts is ON SALE!
• Get single volumes of Charles M. Schulz's beloved masterpiece for $5.00 off each book! • Get special 5-volume decade sets and save up to $45.96 (and only pay shipping for one; we pay shipping for four)! • Get the entire series (including upcoming volumes) and save over $230 (plus FREE domestic shipping)!
This offer is only good now through Saturday, June 29, so act now! See below for details.
(Please note that box set slipcases are not included with this offer. Vols. 5, 7 and 8 are currently being reprinted and Vol. 20 is not out yet -- they will be shipped to you separately when they are available in late Summer 2013.)
Each 5-book set is just $99.99 — a savings of up to $45.96, nearly a third off the combined cover price! Plus, you only pay shipping for one volume — we pick up the shipping on the other 4! (Choose the shipping option that applies to you when adding each set to your shopping cart. Please note that no additional discounts or coupons apply to this offer.) Order now!
WOW! Now you can own the entire series (or give it as a super-impressive gift), all 5 decades of daily and Sunday strips, for one discounted price, post-paid in the U.S. (extra to Canada)! These beautiful hardcover volumes have been delighting readers for nearly a decade, and there's just a handful left to go. Here's how it works:
Order now and you'll be shipped all available volumes through Vol. 19 immediately, and you also get a subscription to the final 6 volumes (20-25), so you'll receive each subsequent volume as it's released (twice a year).
(Please note that box set slipcases are not included with this offer. Vols. 5, 7 and 8 are currently being reprinted -- they will be shipped to you when they are available in late Summer 2013. Product details and specs for forthcoming volumes are subject to change.)
All this for just $499.99 postpaid to the U.S. — a savings of over $230 off the combined cover price of the single volumes! (Please note that no additional discounts or coupons apply to this offer.) Order now!
Remember, these offers are only good through Saturday, June 29, 2013, so don't miss out! (And please spread the word!)
We've had three books hit the NY Times Best Sellers list for two weeks this past month! Dig into yer wallets and read what's on everyone's mind: some quality EC Comics and books from the comic strip master himself, Charles Schulz.
"…here we’re dazzled by romanticized sci-fi heroics and delicate line-work of the ilk of FLASH GORDON’S original artist Alex Raymond, Williamson’s main inspiration. Dinosaurs, spaceships, and outlandish otherworldly creatures populate the flora of faraway worlds, accompanied by buxom, exotically garbed beauties." –Rick Trembles, Fangoria
Of course, around the office everyone is guffawing that we got the word 'taint' on the list. Close up shop, everyone, our job is done here.
"Even though he wasn't a perfectionist, Jack Davis's laziness is better than most people's best work. When Davis does invest himself in a drawing it's just a mind bender. This is a must have for anyone who loves horror, EC, Jack Davis, any of that stuff." –Nick Gazin, VICE
Flirting and a hockey mishap send Charlie Brown and Snoopy (respectively) to the doctor. Plus Spike, Sally, Rerun and the whole gang, and the epochal change from 4 uniform panels to a variable format. Introduction by Garry Trudeau.
Register and Login to receive full member benefits, including members-only special offers, commenting privileges on Flog! The Fantagraphics Blog, newsletters and special announcements via email, and stuff we haven't even thought of yet. Membership is free and spam-free, so Sign Up Today!