Make your way to Fantagraphics Bookstore & Gallery this weekend for two of the liveliest events of the year. On Friday, October 10 from 6:00 to 8:00 PM we host Danny Bland in conversation with noted Northwest novelist Jonathan Evison. They'll discuss Bland's new book of haiku, I Apologize in Advance for the Awful Things I'm Gonna Do featuring calligraphy by Exene Cervenka of X and photographs by Greg Dulli of Afghan Whigs. Look for an engaging dialogue from these unlikely literary luminaries, followed by a reading, book signing, and reception.
This Saturday, October 11 from 6:00 to 9:00 PM, we welcome an incredible crew of gifted cartoonists from Australia, Canada, and the United States. Simon Hanselmann, Michael DeForge, and Patrick Kyle make the final stop of their phenomenally successful North American book tour. They'll be joined by Lane Milburn and Conor Stechschulte for one of the most colorful comix affairs in recent memory. This event coincides with the always-entertaining Georgetown Art Attack.
Fantagraphics Bookstore is located at 1201 S. Vale Street in the heart of Seattle's historic Georgetown arts community. Open daily 11:30 to 8:00 PM, Sundays until 5:00 PM. Phone 206.658.0110.
Fantagraphics Bookstore & Gallery is pleased to welcome an amazing array of accomplished cartoonists throughout the fall and winter of 2014, culminating with an appearance by one of America's most influential artists.
The action begins on Friday, October 10 with Danny Bland presenting his new book of haiku, I Apologize in Advance for the Awful Things I'm Gonna Do from Seattle's illustrious Sub Pop label. Bland will engage in conversation with equally accomplished Northwest author Jonathan Evison, followed by a reading, book signing and reception. The next night, Saturday, October 11, we host an international crew of incredibly talented cartoonists. Simon Hanselmann from Australia and Canadians Michael DeForge and Patrick Kyle will join American artists Lane Milburn and Conor Stechschulte in presenting their imaginative new works to Seattle audiences for the first time.
On Friday, November 14, in association with Seattle's Short Run comics and art festival, we present "Short Run Marathon II," an exhibition, book signing and reception featuring Tom Neely, MariNaomi, Josh Simmons, Pam Wishbow, John Porcellino, and special guest Ed Piskor.
On Small Business Saturday, November 29, we celebrate the publication of Bruce Pavitt's new book Sub Pop USA, The Subterranean Pop Music Anthology, 1980 - 1988, which chronicles the seminal years of what would soon become an international pop culture phenomenon. The book includes the early issues of Pavitt's Sub Pop fanzine, his columns from The Rocket, and related ephemera, along with essays from Fantagraphics curator Larry Reid and K Records founder Calvin Johnson, who will DJ and perform music at the signing.
Saturday, December 6 marks the festive closing party for the "Short Run Marathon II" exhibition featuring Eroyn Franklin previewing her upcoming graphic novel, Dirtbag.
The bookstore celebrates its 8th anniversary in spectacular fashion on Saturday, December 13, as cultural icon Robert Williams presents The Complete ZAP Comix Anthology with an exhibition and book signing, kicking off a weeklong commemoration of this monumental achievement. We'll screen the documentary Robert Williams: Mr. Bitchin' on Sunday, December 14 at Northwest Film Forum, and on Wednesday, December 17 editor J. Michael Catron will give a slide talk on the history of ZAP. The festivities coclude on Saturday, December 20 with a tribute to S. Clay Wilson featuring Patrick Rosenkranz, Dennis Dread, and Jim Blanchard. We'll see you all soon and often!
Just in time for SXSW, Danny Bland will be appearing at Hole in the Wall in Austin, Texas. He'll be reading a few chapters from his book In Case We Die on Saturday, March 15th at 8:30pm. Hole in the Wall is located on the main drag next to the University of Texas (2538 Guadalupe St, Austin, TX 78705) and is a tiny gem in the town. So pull up a bar set, take a long pull from your Corona and relish in the deep gravely voice of a man who has seen the end of things.
Seattleites! Beat the winter doldrums with something even more dark: In Case We Die, the wicked debut novel from longtime Seattle icon Danny Bland!
Join Danny on Saturday, January 18th for one of his hilarious and sometimes gut-wrenching readings at Twilight Gallery. To make the evening even more enticing, he'll be joined by special guests, Tom Hansen and Mandolin Hooper.
Doors at 8:00 PM. BYOB -- no, seriously! Twilight Gallery is located at 4306 SW Alaska Street.
* Other People's Publications, er... "Production"! ** Yeah, You Know Me.
It's not enough that Danny Bland's debut novel is amazing, no. Local 638 Records had to go and release an audio version of this semi-autobiographical wicked tale that takes "amazing" to a whole 'nother level!!!
Just take a look at this stellar roster of readers: Duff McKagan (Guns & Roses), Mike McCready (Pearl Jam), Mark Lanegan (Screaming Trees, Queens of the Stone Age), Steve Earle, Aimee Mann, Mark Arm (Mudhoney), Marc Maron (WTF With Marc Maron)... and that's just to name a few! See the complete star-studded line-up and sample some passages at their Bandcamp page. Together, the audio book is over seven hours long! Hello, road trip accompaniment!
Plus, each incredible artist, actor, and musician who recorded a chapter DONATED their time and talents. If that's not a testament to the powerful prose of Bland, I don't know what is.
Believe it or not, it gets even better: a portion of all audiobook proceeds will go to MusiCares, a non-profit arm of the Grammy Foundation providing medical care and sobriety resources for musicians. (Once you read the book, you'll understand why!)
If somehow I still haven't convinced you, then stop by Elliott Bay Bookstore in Seattle on Saturday, October 12th to witness a riveting reading by Bland himself at 7:00 PM! Then come get your CD at the Fantagraphics Bookstore & Gallery, located at 1201 S. Vale Street in Seattle's Georgetown district. Open daily 11:30 to 8:00 PM, Sundays until 5:00 PM. Phone: (206) 658-0110. (Don't live in Seattle? Click on over to Local 638 Records for all your purchasing needs!)
• Ottawa, ON: Oh, Ottawa! Dave Cooper presents his latest art show Eddy Table and Other Misbehavers at the La Petite Mort Gallery! Dave will have a ton of affordable drawings and doodles available, as well as a cool super-affordable, specially-priced inaugural fine art print to celebrate his new printing venture! (more info)
• Ottawa, ON: Ottawa, it's a two-fer-Thursday! World-famous cartoonist and filmmaker Max Andersson will screen his first feature-length film Tito on Ice as part of the Ottawa International Animation Festival! Don't miss it! (more info)
• Burlington, VT: Don't miss Chris Wrightat the 2013 Burlington Book Festival! He'll be part of the panel "The Novel Graphic: A Summit", alongside Vermont’s first Cartoonist Laureate, James Kochalka; award-winning author and artist Genese Grill; and legendary illustrator, author, and New Yorker cartoonist Ed Koren. (more info)
• Ottawa, ON: Ottawa, were you not listening when I said "don't miss it" back on Thursday? Were you too busy enjoying the fun at Dave Cooper's art show? Well, you've got another chance to see Max Andersson's feature-length film Tito on Ice as part of the Ottawa International Animation Festival! Go, go, go! (more info)
• Seattle, WA: Our very own Jason T Miles will be part of group art show at Cairo, comprised of collaborative and independent ink drawings with artists Darin Shuler and Aidan Fitzgerald! Join them from 7:00 to 9:00 PM for art, words, and drinks! (more info)
• Berkeley, CA: Alternative comix queen Dame Darcy descends upon The Escapist Comic Bookstore for an evening of readings and signings,starting at 5:00 PM! (more info)
• Oslo, Norway: Jason will be signing at Tronsmo Bookstore at 2:00 PM. Along with his Fantagraphics titles, he'll also be signing Pop!, his new collection of illustrations published by Norway's Jippi Comics! (more info)
Register and Login to receive full member benefits, including members-only special offers, commenting privileges on Flog! The Fantagraphics Blog, newsletters and special announcements via email, and stuff we haven't even thought of yet. Membership is free and spam-free, so Sign Up Today!