Just in time for SXSW, Danny Bland will be appearing at Hole in the Wall in Austin, Texas. He'll be reading a few chapters from his book In Case We Die on Saturday, March 15th at 8:30pm. Hole in the Wall is located on the main drag next to the University of Texas (2538 Guadalupe St, Austin, TX 78705) and is a tiny gem in the town. So pull up a bar set, take a long pull from your Corona and relish in the deep gravely voice of a man who has seen the end of things.
Seattleites! Beat the winter doldrums with something even more dark: In Case We Die, the wicked debut novel from longtime Seattle icon Danny Bland!
Join Danny on Saturday, January 18th for one of his hilarious and sometimes gut-wrenching readings at Twilight Gallery. To make the evening even more enticing, he'll be joined by special guests, Tom Hansen and Mandolin Hooper.
Doors at 8:00 PM. BYOB -- no, seriously! Twilight Gallery is located at 4306 SW Alaska Street.
* Other People's Publications, er... "Production"! ** Yeah, You Know Me.
It's not enough that Danny Bland's debut novel is amazing, no. Local 638 Records had to go and release an audio version of this semi-autobiographical wicked tale that takes "amazing" to a whole 'nother level!!!
Just take a look at this stellar roster of readers: Duff McKagan (Guns & Roses), Mike McCready (Pearl Jam), Mark Lanegan (Screaming Trees, Queens of the Stone Age), Steve Earle, Aimee Mann, Mark Arm (Mudhoney), Marc Maron (WTF With Marc Maron)... and that's just to name a few! See the complete star-studded line-up and sample some passages at their Bandcamp page. Together, the audio book is over seven hours long! Hello, road trip accompaniment!
Plus, each incredible artist, actor, and musician who recorded a chapter DONATED their time and talents. If that's not a testament to the powerful prose of Bland, I don't know what is.
Believe it or not, it gets even better: a portion of all audiobook proceeds will go to MusiCares, a non-profit arm of the Grammy Foundation providing medical care and sobriety resources for musicians. (Once you read the book, you'll understand why!)
If somehow I still haven't convinced you, then stop by Elliott Bay Bookstore in Seattle on Saturday, October 12th to witness a riveting reading by Bland himself at 7:00 PM! Then come get your CD at the Fantagraphics Bookstore & Gallery, located at 1201 S. Vale Street in Seattle's Georgetown district. Open daily 11:30 to 8:00 PM, Sundays until 5:00 PM. Phone: (206) 658-0110. (Don't live in Seattle? Click on over to Local 638 Records for all your purchasing needs!)
• Ottawa, ON: Oh, Ottawa! Dave Cooper presents his latest art show Eddy Table and Other Misbehavers at the La Petite Mort Gallery! Dave will have a ton of affordable drawings and doodles available, as well as a cool super-affordable, specially-priced inaugural fine art print to celebrate his new printing venture! (more info)
• Ottawa, ON: Ottawa, it's a two-fer-Thursday! World-famous cartoonist and filmmaker Max Andersson will screen his first feature-length film Tito on Ice as part of the Ottawa International Animation Festival! Don't miss it! (more info)
• Burlington, VT: Don't miss Chris Wrightat the 2013 Burlington Book Festival! He'll be part of the panel "The Novel Graphic: A Summit", alongside Vermont’s first Cartoonist Laureate, James Kochalka; award-winning author and artist Genese Grill; and legendary illustrator, author, and New Yorker cartoonist Ed Koren. (more info)
• Ottawa, ON: Ottawa, were you not listening when I said "don't miss it" back on Thursday? Were you too busy enjoying the fun at Dave Cooper's art show? Well, you've got another chance to see Max Andersson's feature-length film Tito on Ice as part of the Ottawa International Animation Festival! Go, go, go! (more info)
• Seattle, WA: Our very own Jason T Miles will be part of group art show at Cairo, comprised of collaborative and independent ink drawings with artists Darin Shuler and Aidan Fitzgerald! Join them from 7:00 to 9:00 PM for art, words, and drinks! (more info)
• Berkeley, CA: Alternative comix queen Dame Darcy descends upon The Escapist Comic Bookstore for an evening of readings and signings,starting at 5:00 PM! (more info)
• Oslo, Norway: Jason will be signing at Tronsmo Bookstore at 2:00 PM. Along with his Fantagraphics titles, he'll also be signing Pop!, his new collection of illustrations published by Norway's Jippi Comics! (more info)
This September 26th enjoy an "Evening of Literary Mayhem & Music" in New York starringDanny Bland, celebrating his new novel In Case We Die and Mike Edison, author of "I Have Fun Everywhere I Go" and "Dirty! Dirty! Dirty!"
The night couldn't be complete without featuring the World's Greatest Piano Player, Mickey Finn. And special guest DJ Eric Davidson will be spinning punk rock favorites and more! "Where is this?" screams everyone at once---creating such a deafening noise we wonder if you can possibly still attend because your ear drums erupted and, ew, it's kinda bleeding all over--It's at MANITOBAS! We'll see you there.
Thursday, September 26, 7 PM Manitobas 99 Avenue B (212) 982-2511 FREE!
This week's comic shop shipment is slated to include the following new titles. Read on to see what comics-blog commentators and web-savvy comic shops are saying about them (more to be added as they appear), check out our previews at the links, and contact your local shop to confirm availability.
176-page black & white 5" x 6.5" softcover • $19.99 ISBN: 978-1-60699-667-6
"[It] pulls you in like no other comic this year. Stunning in its simplicity and brave in its subject matter. Charles Forsman is a future force. . . [it] is like stumbling onto the ultimate secret in comic books, but based on how great TEOTFW is, it won't be much a secret longer." -Eddie Wright, MTV Geek
"I enjoyed the work, and I think Forsman is a cartoonist to watch." -Tom Spurgeon, Comics Reporter
In Case We Die by Danny Bland; illustrated with photos by Lance Mercer
248-page black & white 6" x 8.5" hardcover • $26.99 ISBN: 978-1-60699-675-1
"Bland is a brutally funny and bravely honest writer. A perfect guide through the bloodshot streets and desperate bedrooms of the underground wilderness." - Dave Alvin (Blasters)
"A great piece of work - full of filth and heart." - Steve Earle
128-page full-color 12.25" x 9.25" hardcover • $29.99 ISBN: 978-1-60699-651-5
"...this book Nudnik Revealed!, is a must-have for anyone interested in animation, cartooning or Gene Deitch. I especially recommend it to those currently doing storyboards." -Jerry Beck, Cartoon Research
"Deitch achieves what only the greatest cartoonist can - a deep spiritual resonance with minimal representation." - New York Press