Category >> Dash Shaw
• Review: Matthew Brady looks at Love and Rockets: New Stories #1 by the Hernandez Brothers
• Review: ComicMix calls Bottomless Belly Button by Dash Shaw "one of the best and most accomplished graphic novels of 2008"
More info here. I'm told "the dude Andy who runs things goes insanely in-depth," so it should be fun to see what he pulls out of Publishers Weekly's Graphic Novel of 2008.
Daily links: 1/6/09
Written by Mike Baehr | Filed under Willie and Joe, Tim Lane, Robert Pollard, reviews, Mome, Matt Broersma, Love and Rockets, Los Bros Hernandez, Lilli Carré, Kevin Huizenga, john kerschbaum, Jason, Jaime Hernandez, Dash Shaw, Bob Levin, Bill Mauldin
6 Jan 2009 1:50 PM
• In the day's biggest news, the winner of Publishers Weekly's annual Critic's Poll of graphic novels is Bottomless Belly Button by Dash Shaw, with The Education of Hopey Glass by Jaime Hernandez in a 6-way tie for 2nd place and Honorable Mentions to Abandoned Cars by Tim Lane, The Lagoon by Lilli Carré, and Love and Rockets: New Stories #1 by the Hernandez Brothers
• Ben Ostrander sends The Comics Reporter his Top Books of 2008 list, which has Willie & Joe: The WWII Years by Bill Mauldin on it
• Marc Sobel lines up his Top Ten Books of 2008, with Abandoned Cars by Tim Lane at #2, Most Outrageous by Bob Levin at #3, and "the comics by Dash Shaw in Mome" at #4, and with Pocket Full of Rain and Other Stories by Jason, Ganges #2 by Kevin Huizenga, and Insomnia #3 by Matt Broersma in the "Other Noteworthy Books" category
• We've got 16 entries on Rob Clough's "Top 50 Comics of the Year", plus 8 honorable mentions; don't make me list them all out
• Comics And... Other Imaginary Tales says Petey & Pussy by John Kerschbaum is "obscenely good fun!"
• Not comics: Magnet has the scoop on Robert Pollard's slate of 2009 records
Daily links: 1/5/09
Written by Mike Baehr | Filed under Simon Deitch, Roger Langridge, Robert Pollard, reviews, Popeye, Peanuts, Mome, Michael Kupperman, Lilli Carré, Kim Deitch, Kevin Huizenga, Johnny Ryan, Jaime Hernandez, Debbie Drechsler, Dash Shaw, Craig Yoe, Boody Rogers, Bob Fingerman, Beasts
5 Jan 2009 12:39 PM
• Michael C. Lorah's "Top Eleven: Best of 2008" at Newsarama includes The Education of Hopey Glass by Jaime Hernandez and Deitch's Pictorama by the brothers Deitch
• On Jog's "Twenty 'Hot Ones' from 2008" best-of list: Mome Vol. 12 (#18), Angry Youth Comix #14 by Johnny Ryan (#9), and Ganges #2 by Kevin Huizenga (#7)
• Comic Book Resources' new multi-author blog Robot 6 presents their "favorite comics of 2008," which include Tom Bondurant's choice of Bottomless Belly Button by Dash Shaw; Chris Mautner giving Popeye Vol. 3: "Let's You and Him Fight!" by E.C. Segar the top spot; and Tim O'Shea including The Lagoon by Lilli Carré and Daddy's Girl by Debbie Drechsler
• The Oklahoman's "top 10 periodical comic book series of 2008" places "the comics of Kevin Huizenga" at #4
• In their "Bull Tongue" column for Arthur Magazine, Thurston Moore & Byron Coley check out Town of Mirrors by Robert Pollard and declare it "stunning"
• Newsarama talks to Craig Yoe about Boody Rogers and our upcoming Yoe-edited collection of Rogers's work, Boody: The Bizarre Comics of Boody Rogers
• Comic Book Resources' "Comics Should Be Good" spotlights the comics of Michael "Tales Designed to Thrizzle" Kupperman
• LIT MOB looks at The Lagoon by Lilli Carré
• The Northwest Science Fiction Society takes note of Beasts! Book 2
• The Daily Cross Hatch presents part 2 of their 3-part interview with Bob Fingerman
• Douglas Wolk has started sharing pages from his convention sketchbook; here's Roger Langridge
• Looking for our books in Tokyo? When Comic Books Ruled the Earth recommends Tower Records in Shibuya
• According to Boing Boing, "snoopy" is the 192nd worst password of all time (beating out "buddy" but just behind "chester")
Daily links: 1/2/09
Written by Mike Baehr | Filed under Thomas Ott, Steve Ditko, Rory Hayes, reviews, Patrick Rosenkranz, Love and Rockets, Los Bros Hernandez, Lilli Carré, Kevin Huizenga, Joe Kubert, Jason, Dash Shaw, Blake Bell, Bill Schelly
2 Jan 2009 2:44 PM
• Comic Book Resources concludes their "Best 100 Comics of 2008" countdown: Part III ranks Ganges #2 by Kevin Huizenga at #51 and Bottomless Belly Button by Dash Shaw at #41; Part V has Love and Rockets: New Stories #1 by the Hernandez Brothers at #20
• The KEXP blog lists Town of Mirrors by Robert Pollard as one of "2008's Best Books About Popular Music"
• Derik Badman's "Best Comics of 2008" list includes Bottomless Belly Button as its "Breaking Through in All Sorts of Ways pick"
• In their "Nexus Graphica" column for The SF Site, Rick Klaw and Mark London Williams include the following titles on their "top ten graphic novel or comics-related publications lists": The Number 73304-23-4153-6-96-8 by Thomas Ott, Strange and Stranger: The World of Steve Ditko by Blake Bell, and Rebel Visions by Patrick Rosenkranz (Mark's #1)
• J. Caleb Mozzocco's top-ten list of "The Best Comics of 2008" includes Bottomless Belly Button and Jason's The Last Musketeer, with Pocket Full of Rain on the long list
• The Village Voice "Pulp Fictions" column names Bottomless Belly Button and Where Demented Wented: The Art and Comics of Rory Hayes two of "The Best of 2008"
• The OC Weekly counts Love and Rockets: New Stories #1 among "The Year's Best Graphic Books and Novels"
• The Daily Cross Hatch reviews The Lagoon by Lilli Carré
• At Comic Book Resources, Steven Grant looks at Man of Rock: A Biography of Joe Kubert by Bill Schelly (about midway through the column)
Daily links: 12/26/08
Written by Mike Baehr | Filed under Willie and Joe, Tom Kaczynski, Steven Weissman, Steve Brodner, Rory Hayes, Love and Rockets, Los Bros Hernandez, Jules Feiffer, Dash Shaw, Bob Levin, Bill Mauldin
26 Dec 2008 2:20 PM
• In The Patriot-News, Chris Mautner bestows his "Moxie Awards" for best comics of 2008, with several of our titles awarded top honors or runner-up status, including Bottomless Belly Button by Dash Shaw, Willie & Joe: The WWII Years by Bill Mauldin, Explainers by Jules Feiffer, Where Demented Wented by Rory Hayes, Love and Rockets: New Stories by the Hernandez Brothers, Most Outrageous by Bob Levin and more
And some holiday greetings from:
• Tom Kaczynski
• Steven Weissman
• Steve Brodner
• USA TODAY Pop Candy names Bottomless Belly Button by Dash Shaw the top comic of 2008, with The Lagoon by Lilli Carré at #6
• Rob Clough has a typically thoughtful review of The Lagoon
• The Miami Herald casts a favorable eye on Strange & Stranger: The World of Steve Ditko by Blake Bell and Man of Rock: A Biography of Joe Kubert by Bill Schelly
• Tim O'Shea interviews Ivan Brunetti
• The Daily Cross Hatch presents part 2 of their interview with Kevin Huizenga
• A last-minute Christmas gift from Ellen Forney: free sexy-elf desktop wallpaper!
Daily links: 12/22/08
Written by Mike Baehr | Filed under Steve Ditko, reviews, Popeye, Peanuts, Paul Hornschemeier, Love and Rockets, Los Bros Hernandez, John Pham, Joe Coleman, Jack Cole, Fletcher Hanks, Dash Shaw, Blake Bell, Beasts
22 Dec 2008 3:22 PM
Daily links: 12/18/08
Written by Mike Baehr | Filed under walt holcombe, Ted Stearn, Popeye, Mome, Love and Rockets, Los Bros Hernandez, Linda Medley, Lilli Carré, Krazy Kat, Kevin Huizenga, Jules Feiffer, Josh Simmons, Johnny Ryan, John Pham, Fletcher Hanks, Fantagraphics history, Dash Shaw, comics industry, Cathy Malkasian, Beasts
18 Dec 2008 3:43 PM
• Inside baseball: in a must-read slice of industry history from the mid-1980s, former Fantagraphics staffer Dave Olbrich comes clean about the debacle of the Jack Kirby Awards. Be sure to check the comments for official reaction from Kim Thompson
• Cartoon Brew recommends Fuzz & Pluck: Splitsville by Ted Stearn
• Comics - History & Price Guides takes note of Krazy & Ignatz 1931-1932 by George Herriman
• Stella Matutina says Castle Waiting by Linda Medley would "make a great present for the fairy tale-loving feminist in your life"
• Rob Clough reviews Sublife Vol. 1 by John Pham
• Jim Hanley's Universe recommends Percy Gloom by Cathy Malkasian as a Staff Pick
• The Seattle Times includes Beasts! Book 1 and Book 2 in their listing of new local book offerings
An explosion of end-of-year lists:
• USA TODAY Pop Candy places Lilli Carré at #58 on the list of "Top 100 People of 2008"
• Book By Its Cover includes Beasts! Book 2 in their Top 10 of 2008
• Jeff Smith says Popeye Vol. 3: "Let's You and Him Fight!" by E.C. Segar was a favorite of 2008
• Robert Boyd names Jules Feiffer's Explainers and the Hernandez Brothers' Love and Rockets: New Stories #1 two of "The Best Comics of 2008"
• Brian Nicholson places Bottomless Belly Button by Dash Shaw at the top of his list of Best Comics for the year, with Ganges #2 by Kevin Huizenga not far behind
• Dustin Harbin's top 10 "Best Comics of 2008" has Bottomless Belly Button at #2, Popeye Vol. 3 at #4, and Ganges #2 at #7
• Johnny Bacardi puts Love and Rockets: New Stories #1 on his "2008 Personal 10 Best in Comics" list (previously noted, but I forgot the link)
• Mindless Ones names I Shall Destroy All the Civilized Planets! by Fletcher Hanks a "Top Comic of 2008" (yes, it came out in 2007 but I think they're UK)
• At comiXology, Tucker Stone unveils #30-11 of his "Best Comics of 2008," with Mome Vol. 12, Jessica Farm Vol. 1 by Josh Simmons, Angry Youth Comix Vol. II #14 by Johnny Ryan, and Love and Rockets: New Stories #1 making the list
• GraphicNovelReporter names Bottomless Belly Button one of their "Best Graphic Novels of 2008"
• On the Forbidden Planet International blog, Mike Carey names Things Just Get Away from You by Walt Holcombe ("a strange little masterpiece") and Jessica Farm Vol. 1 ("willfully perverse") as two of his three favorite comics of the year
(Hat tip to Largehearted Boy's diligent compilation of "Best of 2008" Book Lists for a few of these links.)