"One of comics' revered masters gets a fresh new reprinting worthy of his work and accessible to kids.... Despite the dark undertones, the comic expressions and dialogue is still laugh-out-loud funny. A wonderful project that should put Barks’s name in front of new generations of admirers." – Publishers Weekly (Starred Review)
"Even the silliest premise, when executed by an artist in perfect control of his gifts, can land with deftness and grace — that's something that strikes you again and again as you read Barks' work. And it's a lesson that won't get lost on any kid with whom you might choose to share it, which is convenient, as this collection makes a perfect introduction to one of the greatest all-ages comics artists of all time." – NPR - Monkey See
"Even now, Barks’ stories are clever and funny, as he leads the ducks into impossible situations and then gives them unexpected ways out. And they’re poignant in their own way, too.... What’s impressive about Fantagraphics’ [edition] is that it encourages both a fannish and an intellectual approach to the material." – The A.V. Club
"Barks, the artist, is a master cartoonist, drawing lively, expressive characters with a graceful sense of movement. His beautiful, detailed backgrounds plant the ducks in a fully realized world that adds weight to his storytelling.... But besides the entertaining plots, Barks’ appeal is in his characters. He gives his ducks many human frailties and while they usually try to do the right thing, they make mistakes, get angry, frustrated, and even fail. Fantagraphics Books... does its usual high quality work here as well.... For both newcomers to Barks' work and diehard fans, this is a book that any comic book reader would love..." – The Christian Science Monitor
"...the best collection series that any comic company is doing today! ... Funny, smart and just plain fun... Fantagraphics treats each and every panel on the page with care and detail." – Comics Bulletin
Scrooge McDuck is now such a fixture in the Disney universe that few remember Carl Barks had been writing and drawing Donald Duck stories for half a decade before he cooked up the miserly multiplujillionaire — for what he thought would be a one-time Christmas yarn involving Donald, the nephews, Scrooge in a bearskin, and (inevitably) a couple of real bears. "Christmas on Bear Mountain" is one of Barks's funniest holiday stories and a true landmark in comics history, and offers a fascinating look at a rough-edged, genuinely nasty character whom Barks would soon soften...
Scrooge aside, there’s plenty of other fun to be had in this volume. In "Volcano Valley" Donald and the Nephews end up stuck in Volcania, a south-of-the-border country inhabited by sombrero-wearing, siesta-addicted Volcanians. Other long-form adventures include the self-explanatory "Adventure Down Under," as well as one of Barks's most atmospheric thrillers, the West Indies-based "Ghost of the Grotto," which includes a lovely night-time sequence drawn in Barks's trademark silhouettes and a giant-octopus-vs.-hot-chili-peppers throwdown that climaxes in an explosive splash panel.
The book is rounded off with seven of Barks's hilarious 10-pagers, and as with the previous volumes, Walt Disney's Donald Duck: Christmas on Bear Mountain has been scanned from crisp vintage art and meticulously colored to match the original printing's warm, simple hues, and features abundant critical and historical notes penned by some of duckdom's finest experts.
For readers who are looking for something really special and enormously fun to give to their loved ones in this holiday season, we present, in one package, two of the best Christmas comics stories you’ll ever read: "Christmas on Bear Mountain" featuring the introduction of Uncle Scrooge (the World’s Richest Duck), and "A Christmas for Shacktown," in which Scrooge loses his entire fortune even as Donald Duck and his nephews try to bring some Christmas cheer to the suffering children of Shacktown.
But that's only the beginning! In these twin volumes, you'll find page after page after page of intrepid quests, daring adventures, and breathtaking escapes. Readers of all ages will be spellbound by these timeless classics — with their engaging plots, clever humor, and heartwarming themes. In all, these two books provide nearly 400 pages of full-color comics!
A double dose of Disney's Donald Duck! A thoughtful, memorable, can’t-miss special Christmas item — at a very special price — handsomely presented in an inviting gift box set that will delight readers of any age.
He's faster than a speeding arrow... more powerful than the Sheriff of Nottingham... able to leap high taxes in a single bound! He's Mickey Mouse! He's back in color - and traveling back in time: battling evil medievals in our second book of Floyd Gottfredson's Sunday classics. Donald Duck, Goofy, and mischievous Morty and Ferdie are invited along too... if they dare!
Standout stories in this volume include "The Robin Hood Adventure," in which Mickey joins the Merry Men: swordfighting, jousting, and risking his life to rob the rich! Then Mickey faces Gold Rush gun-slingers as the "Sheriff of Nugget Gulch" - and outwits the ever-sneaky Mortimer Mouse in "Mickey's Rival!"
Restored from Studio art sources and enhanced with a meticulous recreation of the strips' original color, Robin Hood Rides Again also includes more than 30 pages of swashbuckling extra features. You'll enjoy coveted non-Mouse Disney comics by Gottfredson; rare behind-the-scenes art; and commentary by a Round Table of Mickey scholars.
Two volumes of Mickey's thrilling adventures, comprising Floyd Gottfredson's complete full-color run of Sunday Mickey strips, packaged in a beautiful and sturdy slipcase and priced cheaper than the individual volumes! A perfect gift and/or collector's item.
"Hernandez's absence from Palomar hasn't dimmed his ability to bring its beloved characters to vivid life, and his visual approach, a skillful blend of cartooning and illustration, remains as distinctive and acute as ever. Fans who have missed Palomar will relish the chance to return there once again." –Gordon Flagg, Booklist
"…just as in our world, there's more to life than consumption, such as breakfast and odd proclamations ("From now on all eyeglasses will be rectangular") from enigmatic locations, or possibly people. You can never really be sure. More than a bit like the surrealism of real life, but everyone wears a muumuu." –Ray Olson, Booklist
"[The End is] as intelligently written and beautifully drawn-whether simply or intricately-as anything else this front-runner in his generation of comics artists has done. The last piece ends in blank-paneled silence, bringing to mind Wittgenstein's famous proposition, "What we cannot speak about, we must pass over in silence." –Ray Olson, Booklist
Here it is! The historic first-ever appearance of Donald Duck's Uncle Scrooge! A true landmark in Disney history, "Christmas on Bear Mountain" introduces Scrooge with a crafty holiday scheme to test Donald's mettle — only to find himself astonished by the unexpected result!
For more Christmastime comedy, Huey, Dewey, and Louie try their very best to be good for the season, only to have it all backfire — on Donald!
Of course, there's lots more fun and adventure in these pages, as Donald and his nephews find themselves running for their lives from an erupting volcano, adopted by a kangaroo, menaced by a ducknapping ghost in armor - and much, much more!
(Did we mention the giant octopus?)
Carl Barks, one of the most brilliant cartoonists of the 20th century, entertained millions around the world with his timeless tales of Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge. Walt Disney's Donald Duck: Christmas on Bear Mountain continues Fantagraphics's acclaimed color series that exquisitely re-presents all of Barks's classic Duck stories to a new generation.
Double the fun! Two Disney Donald Duck classics in a custom slipcase at a special seasonal price. Featuring:
• Donald's hilarious schemes to get ahead • Huey, Dewey, and Louie's hijinks • Donald's pursuit of Daisy • The first-ever appearance of Donald's Uncle Scrooge • An erupting volcano • A lovesick kangaroo • A sword-wielding ghost • A giant octopus • Uncle Scrooge's money bin woes
All stories written and drawn by Carl Barks. A perfect gift!
In our downloadable preview you'll read the Table of Contents, a chapter introduction, and a sequence of strips wherein that no-good Mortimer Mouse tries to steal Minnie from Mickey by hook or by crook, and later, Mickey, Donald and Goofy do a little DIY home improvement... what could possibly go wrong? Will hilarity ensue? (Spoiler: Yes.)
Arriving in just a few weeks, Walt Disney's Donald Duck: Christmas on Bear Mountain is the fifth release (and the fifth volume) of the Complete Carl Barks Disney Library. In our downloadable preview, you'll see the first appearance of Barks's most famous original creation, Uncle Scrooge McDuck, in an excerpt from the title story, plus another chunk of a longer story (Donald tries his hand at horticulture; what could go wrong?) and two complete one-pagers. It's another handsome hardcover full of some of the greatest comics ever!
Here's your first advance peek at the fifth release in our Carl Barks Library series! Walt Disney's Donald Duck: Christmas on Bear Mountain is another 240 pages of some of the best comics ever made, along with the usual supplemental story notes from the experts. This volume includes a special highlight among all the globe-trotting adventures and hilarious slapstick: the first appearance of Uncle Scrooge! And wait until you see the giant octopus.
We know most people don't want to think about the holidays just yet, but think about it: if you pre-order now (instead of waiting until they come out in November) that's one less thing you'll have to worry about later!
Boasting one of the most PACKED signing schedules of SPX and Fantagraphics' we have FOURTEEN people signing at our table (and a few more Fantagraphics' cartoonists are tabling all by their lonesome) You can find all these sweet 'n' sassy cartoonists and book debuts at tables W57-6, along the very rightmost wall.
As usual we have an action-packed signing schedule for you at San Diego Comic Con. Keep your schedules open so you can stop by our magnificent table and get your signatures hot and fresh in your books at - See more at: http://www.fantagraphics.com/?Itemid=113&option=com_myblog&show=San-Diego-Comic-Con-Debuts.html#sthash.199ZEXcU.dpuf
• Hip Hop Family Tree by Ed Piskor Yes yes y'all! This explosively entertaining, encyclopedic history will school you on the old school, taking you back to the early days of the music genre that changed global culture. Originally serialized on the hugely popular website Boing Boing, Hip Hop Family Tree is now collected in a single volume cleverly presented and packaged in a style mimicking the Marvel comics of the same era.
The only public visual record of the notorious, historic, carefully censored military trials at Guantanamo is Hamlin's courtroom sketches. This book collects her most potent and revealing sketches and chronicles her experience. - See more at: http://www.fantagraphics.com/index.php?keyword=sketching+guantanamo&search_type=titles&Search=Search&Itemid=62&option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse#sthash.xQzpBR6W.dpuf
Court Sketches of the Military Tribunals, 2006-2013 - See more at: http://www.fantagraphics.com/browse-shop/sketching-guantanamo-court-sketches-of-the-military-tribunals-2006-2013-oct.-2013.html?vmcchk=1#sthash.DF2ADBuc.dpuf
• Fran by Jim Woodring What is to become of the beloved trilobular chuckbuster Frank now that he has journeyed outside the Unifactor and met his soulmate, Fran? The answer is delivered here in devastatingly unpredictable fashion. Fans of Frank, connoisseurs of bizarre romance, and spelunkers in the radiant depths of graphic metaphysical psychodrama will want to add this singular cartoon adventure story to their lifetime reading list.
• Everybody is Stupid Except for Me (And Other Astute Observations) by Peter Bagge A decade of informed, provocative, cantankerous & hilarious cartoon opinion pieces from our favorite libertarian curmudgeon, on topics ranging from Stupid War to Stupid Sex and, of course, Stupid Politicians. BONUS: This new edition of the sold-out Everybody Is Stupid features an extra 32 pages of never-before-collected comics, including an epic biography of eccentric libertarian (and Ayn Rand contemporary) Isabel Mary Paterson.
• Treasury of Mini Comics Volume 1, edited by Michael Dowers Four decades of deliberate DIY cartoon rebellion! Collecting some of the best mini comics ever produced by some of the most creative artists in the world. In a do-it-yourself world, anything goes... boundaries are crossed, envelopes pushed, wounds opened. From the silliest fart or boob jokes to the most deeply felt "EMO" style poetry, mini comics creators have been uninhibited in their efforts to strive for something fresh, raw, and vital.
• Love and Rockets: The Covers by Gilbert and Jaime Hernandez (badass design by Jacob Covey) A beautiful, oversized art book featuring over 120 iconic comic covers (front & back) from the first 3 decades of Love and Rockets, collected for the first time in full color. The perfect gift for L&R fan, this book presents them without trade dress (logos, marketing hype, etc.) when possible, allowing the original cover illustrations to communicate on their own. With a fancy clear plastic book jacket, you need to grab a copy and return home a hero.
A beautiful, oversized art book featuring over 120 iconic comic covers (front & back) from the first 3 decades of Love and Rockets, collected for the first time in full color. The perfect gift for L&R fan, this book presents them without trade dress (logos, marketing hype, etc.) when possible, allowing the original cover illustrations to communicate on their own. With a fancy clear plastic book jacket, you need to grab a copy, get it signed and return home a hero. - See more at: http://www.fantagraphics.com/?Itemid=113&option=com_myblog&show=San-Diego-Comic-Con-Debuts.html#sthash.RzbNaI5J.dpuf
• Wandering Son Volume 5 by Shimura Takako In this volume of the acclaimed series about transgendered kids exploring their unfolding identities, we've reached a big event; the junior high school entrance ceremony. Envy and jealousy are prominent themes in Volume 5: Chiba-san is jealous of Takatsuki-san, for whom Nitori-kun still carries a torch. Maho envies Anna-chan's professionalism as a model. And Chii-chan's loyal sidekick, Shiri Momoko, is intensely jealous of anyone in whom Chii-chan shows the slightest interest. And so our protagonists set off on the journey to adolescence....
• Walt Disney's Donald Duck: Christmas on Bear Mountain by Carl Barks Uncle Scrooge's first appearance, in one of Barks's funniest holiday stories! "Christmas on Bear Mountain" is one of Barks's funniest holiday stories and a true landmark in comics history, and offers a fascinating look at a rough-edged, genuinely nasty character whom Barks would soon soften... Journey to Volcania, "down under" and the West Indies with Donald and the nephews. Plus seven 10-pagers and abundant critical and historical notes. Not available in stores until NOVEMBER!
• Walt Disney's Donald Duck Christmas Gift Box Set by Carl Barks A double dose of Disney's Donald Duck! A thoughtful, memorable, can't-miss special Christmas item handsomely presented in an inviting gift box set that will delight readers of any age. In these twin volumes, you'll find page after page after page of intrepid quests, daring adventures, and breathtaking escapes. Readers will be spellbound by these timeless classics - with their engaging plots, clever humor, and heartwarming themes.
These items are on their way for a late October-early November release — if you pre-order the box set, we'll send you Volume 1 right now, and you'll get Volume 2 with the slipcase when they're available, all at no extra cost and cheaper than both individual volumes! What a deal!