|Daily links: 12/23/08|
|Written by Mike Baehr | Filed under Steve Ditko, reviews, Lilli Carré, Kevin Huizenga, Joe Kubert, Ivan Brunetti, Ellen Forney, Dash Shaw, Blake Bell, Bill Schelly||23 Dec 2008 4:53 PM|
Search / Login
Sign up for our email newsletters for updates on new releases, events, special deals and more.
Category >> Ellen Forney
• Comic Book Resources' "Comics Should Be Good" places Tales Designed to Thrizzle #4 by Michael Kupperman and Ganges #2 by Kevin Huizenga at the #5 and #4 positions, respectively, on their "Top Ten Comics of 2008"
• They also mention Ellen Forney and Man of Rock: A Biography of Joe Kubert by Bill Schelly on a list of "Top Ten Moments of Comic-Related Happiness in 2008"
• Bram Meehan puts this year's two major Bill Mauldin releases, our collection Willie & Joe: The WWII Years and Todd DePastino's biography A Life Up Front, in a shared #10 position on his "Top Ten Comics of 2008" (via TCR)
No, Ellen isn't performing Billy Joel karaoke (that I know of). In celebration of her most recent cover illustration for The Stranger (above, and currently seen around the snowy streets of Seattle), Ellen presents a retrospective of her Stranger covers going back to 1993.
Fantagraphics Bookstore & Gallery Celebrates 2nd Anniversary on December 13 with a Spectacular Party and BEASTS Art Exhibition!
Over the course of two years, Fantagraphics Bookstore & Gallery has become woven into the region’s cultural fabric and drawn attention to an impressive array of local, national and international narrative cartoonists, illustrators, graphic designers, and fine artists while providing a showcase for Seattle-based publisher Fantagraphics Books. To celebrate the second anniversary of this stimulating space, Fantagraphics Bookstore & Gallery hosts a festive gala and reception for the phenomenal BEASTS BOOKS 1 & 2 book launch and art exhibition on Saturday, December 13 from 6:00 to 9:00 PM.
Since its publication in December 2006, BEASTS BOOK ONE has become a pop culture sensation, quickly selling out two printings and finding an enthusiastic worldwide audience. Meticulously designed, the book combines colorful illustrations of mythical monsters with imaginative text describing the folkloric origins and characteristics of these creatures. The brainchild of Fantagraphics Books design director Jacob Covey, the first BEASTS volume included accomplished contributors including Art Chantry, Tim Biskup, Tony Millionaire, Richard Sala, Martin Ontiveros, and Jordan Crane among many others. BEASTS BOOK TWO, which will debut at the December 13 event, continues the tradition of illustrations from interdisciplinary international luminaries including David B. (France), Jaime Hernandez (US), Femke Hiemstra (Netherlands), Toby Tam (China), Kim Deitch (US), Tatsuro Kiuchi (Japan), and many more. To commemorate the publication of BEASTS BOOK TWO and the simultaneous release of the paperback edition of BEASTS BOOK ONE, Covey has selected 45 representative artists from both volumes for an eclectic exhibition of original works and fine art prints.
The 2nd Anniversary celebration and BEASTS reception will be hosted by Fantagraphics stalwarts Ellen Forney, Jim Woodring, Jacob Covey, Peter Bagge, Jim Blanchard and special guest Ted Stearn. Musical entertainment will be provided by Peter Bagge’s new pop combo Can You Imagine? featuring celebrated musician and producer Steve Fisk. The public of all ages is welcome and admission is free. Guests can peruse a new crop of bad ass books and exquisite gifts from the Northwest’s most adventurous purveyor of comics, graphic novels and low brow art.
Fantagraphics Bookstore & Gallery is located at 1201 S. Vale Street (at Airport Way S.) in Seattle’s lively Georgetown arts community. Open daily 11:30 – 8:00 PM, Sundays until 5:00 PM. Phone 206.658.0110. The 2nd Anniversary Gala and BEASTS exhibition on Saturday, December 13 coincides with the festive Georgetown Second Saturday Art Attack featuring visual and performing arts presentations throughout the neighborhood. Please join us for this auspicious occasion.
BEASTS art exhibition and 2nd Anniversary Gala
A selection of imagery in a variety of formats is available for publication. For additional information contact Eric Reynolds at Fantagraphics.
• Speaking of Bottomless Belly Button, Matthew Brady takes a good look at the book
• Congratulations and good luck to Linda Medley for being named a finalist (and the only American on the list) for the Prix de la Critique 2008 by the Association des Critiques et Journalistes de Bande Dessinée for Château l'Attente, the French edition of Castle Waiting
There'll be a little more catch-up tomorrow:
• Flog commenter "Faraquet" points out this 2001 Dutch TV interview with Daniel Clowes (via this blog) and says "It's very weird" (having watched the first few minutes we're going to say it's the background music that gives that impression)
• I'm pretty sure I've seen this circulate on the blogosphere before, but: Tim Hensley presents The World's Weirdest Comics Jam
For the Capitol Hill Artwalk on September 9, Toys in Babeland is going to host a show of Ellen Forney's Lustlab originals, and she'll also be performing her Lust reading/presentation at TiB's 15th anniversary partyon September 18. The art show is called "Ta-ta, Lustlab Ad of the Week!"
Original art exhibition and LUST book signing
Capitol Hill Art Walk
Exhibition continues through Oct. 6
Join Ellen Forney in bidding "Ta-Ta!!" to her provocative "Lustlab Ad
"Forney's kitschy, playful drawings make you want to know these
"No matter who - or what - your yen, LUST is worth a peep." - Readymade
"Alternately clever and goofy, LUST is a fantastic voyage into the
Ellen Forney announces on her blog that her four-year gig illustrating the Lustlab Ad of the Week for The Stranger, as collected in her Fantagraphics book Lust, is coming to an end. As a swan song, an exhibit of Ellen's Lustlab originals will be on display at Babeland starting September 9, with Ellen performing her Lust multimedia presentation at their 15th anniversary party on September 18. Click here for more details.