A "moving hold" is an animation technique that involves cycling several drawings of a stationary character, giving the drawn lines a sense of vibration and energy. And it's also the title of the Lilli Carré exhibit opening in Chicago this week!
Moving Holds opens this Friday, April 20th at Western Exhibitions. For the show, Carré has created three different sets of work that all incorporate moving holds, as an idea, a technique, or both. Don't miss the opening reception from 5:00 to 8:00 PM this Friday!
• Kansas City, MO: The name of this exhibit says it all: "GOOD THING I USED A PSEUDONYM: Work From a Three-Part Career: Frank Stack as Painter, Connoisseur, and Incognito as Graphic Novelist Foolbert Sturgeon." This is the first exhibition that will include Stack’s all-important comics work. The opening reception is from 6-9 PM, and the exhibit runs until March 3, 2012. (more info)
• Kansas City, MO: In conjunction with the aforementioned exhibit "GOOD THING I USED A PSEUDONYM: Work From a Three-Part Career: Frank Stack as Painter, Connoisseur, and Incognito as Graphic Novelist Foolbert Sturgeon," Frank Stack himself will appear at Project Space for a discussion with curators Anne Thompson and Nathan Boyer at 2:30 PM. (more info)
• San Francisco, CA: Justin Hall, editor of our upcoming anthology No Straight Lines: Four Decades of Queer Comics, will be hosting an event at the S.F. Cartoon Art Museum curated by his students in the "Engage: Queer Comics Project" class at the California College of the Arts. More details coming to the FLOG this week!
• Chicago, IL: An exhibit of Lilli Carré's work opened last week at the Ralph Arnold Fine Arts Annex with short animated films she describes as “moving drawings," a collection of Lilli's recent string drawing pieces, and some books and comics. The exhibit closes on January 21, 2012. (more info)
But the exhibit also spotlights Lilli's animation work, as a series of short animated films she describes as “moving drawings” will be projected on the windows facing Sheridan Road. Inside, you'll find a collection of Lilli's recent string drawing pieces, along with some books and comics.
The free reception goes from 5:00 to 6:30 PM tonight, and you should be able to make an online reservation here. Loyola University Chicago's Ralph Arnold Fine Arts Annex is located at 1131 W. Sheridan. And the exhibit will be up until January 21, 2012!
• Seattle, WA: It's also your last chance to see the Short Run Art Show at the Fantagraphics Bookstore & Gallery! Curated by Kelly Froh, the exhibit features original comix art, illustration and book works by Max Clotfelter, Patrick Keck, Martine Workman, Elaine Lin, Jason T. Miles, Chris Cilla, Andrice Arp, Tim Root, Billis Helg, Marc Palm, Eroyn Franklin, Tom Van Deusen, Tim Miller, Tory Franklin, Jesse Reklaw, Sean Christensen, and Erin Tanner. (more info)
It's that time of year again! The time of year where a flock of Fantagraphics artists participate in the annual Giant Robot Post-It Show, and like last year, it will be curated by the inspirational husband-wife team of Esther Pearl Watson and Mark Todd.
The Giant Robot Post-It Show 7 runs from December 10th through 29th at GR2 [ 2062 Sawtelle Blvd., Los Angeles, CA ] with an opening reception event on Saturday, December 10th from 6:30 - 10:00 PM. It's "cash-and-carry," so don't forget your bag-and-board!