|Thrizzle, Blazing Combat previews at ICv2|
|Written by Mike Baehr | Filed under previews, new releases, Michael Kupperman, Blazing Combat||24 Mar 2009 11:05 AM|
Search / Login
Sign up for our email newsletters for updates on new releases, events, special deals and more.
Category >> Michael Kupperman
• Bookmark: Shelf Life: 25 Years of Love & Rockets, Marc Sobel's column closely examining every issue of Love and Rockets Vol. 1, has moved from the currently-defunct Sequart site to its own blog; the most recent entry focuses on Love and Rockets X
Now available for preview and pre-order: Tales Designed to Thrizzle #5, the latest 32-page slice of insane comedy genius (or is it genius comedic insanity?) from Michael Kupperman. This comic is scheduled to be in stock in late March/early April and in stores approximately 4 weeks later.
View a photo & video slideshow preview embedded here. Click here if it is not visible, and/or to view it larger in a new window (recommended). And visit the product details page for a downloadable, 4-page PDF excerpt starring Twain & Einstein!
• Review: Dutch blog Koen says of Dash Shaw's Bottomless Belly Button (according to the Google translation) that "Shaw proves himself a master of the portrayal of inner pain and dysfunctional relationships without being depressing, with the addition of humor and mystery... This book is one of the best comics of 2008."
• Preview: Introducing an exlusive 7-page excerpt from Unlovable Vol. 1 by Esther Pearl Watson, New York Magazine says "Tammy [Pierce]'s hopes, dreams, and humiliations are brought vividly to life in Watson's grotesque-but-touching book Unlovable. Even if you never wore leg warmers with high heels, you'll still recognize your teenage self in Tammy Pierce's unguarded, most secret thoughts. And if you did wear leg warmers with heels, well, maybe this was your diary."
• Things to see: A status update on the upcoming Tales Designed to Thrizzle book from Michael Kupperman
• Things to see: Jim Woodring, bad student
• Things to see: Michael Kupperman - 3D!
• Things to see: Happy Friday the 13th from the Jim Flora Blog
• List: In the holiday spirit, the UCD Advocate's rundown of "Cartoon Sex" names Charles Burns's Black Hole "Creepiest," Robert & Aline Crumb's Self Loathing Comics "Kinkiest," and The Girl from HOPPERS by Jaime Hernandez "Most Realistic"
• Social networking: If you're on the Twitter, you can follow cartoonists Paul Hornschemeier and Mack White; meanwhile, we just got our 1,000th Twitter follower, who appears to be a fictional albatross named Fredrik Lotsie (and you could be our 1,014th)
On behalf of everyone at Fantagraphics, I'd like to welcome Ulysses Kupperman Dougherty to the world. Ulysses was born on Monday night to our own Michael Kupperman and his lovely wife, Muire Dougherty. Luckily for comics fans, Michael turned in Tales Designed to Thrizzle #5 just before the big day. We can't wait to meet you, Ulysses.
PShaw tipped me off to this and I think he's right on. Read this, paying close attention to the name of the robot -- 4-Playo 3000 -- and the general design of the robot, especially the head. And then as well the concept -- a marriage saving robot:
For extra credit, here's another. Again, check the name -- Spankio 3000 --and design:
Now, watch this Bud Light commerical created (but not aired) for the 2009 Superbowl:
This might not be the last you hear from us, Budweiser.