|Things to see: 2/16/10|
|Written by Mike Baehr | Filed under Things to see, Steven Weissman, Noah Van Sciver, Michael Kupperman, Marco Corona, Lilli Carré, Laura Park, Gabrielle Bell, Coming Attractions||16 Feb 2010 3:46 PM|
Search / Login
Sign up for our email newsletters for updates on new releases, events, special deals and more.
Category >> Things to see
Let's start out with a little showin' off!
• Mr. Gahan Wilson was kind enough to contribute this astonishing page to my Yoda theme sketchbook. (Mr. Wilson having been one of my favorite cartoonists since I was about 8 — 3 decades — this was an unparalleled thrill.) I just scanned and uploaded about 50 previously unseen Yodas — of particular interest to Fantagraphics fans may be (chronologically) T. Edward Bak, Bob Fingerman, Derek Van Gieson, Kurt Wolfgang, From Wonderland with Love contributors Christoffer Zieler & T. Thorhauge, Sara Edward-Corbett, Gary Panter, Trina Robbins, Lewis Trondheim, Roger Langridge, Frank Santoro, R. Sikoryak, and Anders Nilsen... and that ain't even the half of it!
• Speaking of Gahan, Golden Age Comic Book Stories presents a selection of his mid-1970s newspaper feature Gahan Wilson Sunday Comics
• Speaking of Kevin H., here's some manner of Wild Kingdom "remix"
• John Pham is readying some artwork for an upcoming solo show at GR2 (stay tuned for an announcement — image yoinked from Facebook)
• Drinky Crow, by Mother Nature (ganked from Tony Millionaire's Facebook) — somebody call the Vatican
Point your peepers (and your clickers):
• How long has Kaz had these animated Underworld strips up at mylittlefunny.com? Am I late to the game? They're super well done — animation, music and voice talent, all spot on (link via Tony Millionaire)
Looky (and clicky for better lookies):
Feast your eyes — follow links for larger/complete versions:
• A portrait of Fantagraphics' own Ambassador of Awesomeness, Janice Headley, drawn by Jaime Hernandez at APE 2008 (on the back of Daniel Clowes's name card), finally scanned
• Look forward to Laura Park's entries to Picture Book Report, where a variety of artists will be posting illustrations inspired by their favorite books — looks like there's going to be a lot of great stuff, gonna bookmark that site
Looks like these posts are pretty much daily, huh?
• Holy smokes, it's a multi-page Amazing Facts and Beyond with Leon Beyond epic by Kevin Huizenga, Ted May and Dan Zettwoch, from the pages of the Riverfront Times (with "DVD extras" on Zettwoch's blog)! Will someone in St. Louis PLEASE send us some copies of this?
• Speaking of Huizenga, holy moly, he just opened up a memory that's been dormant in my head for around 30 years with this bit of Jan Lööf fan art (click for full version) — what a great book that was
(...And this didn't get posted on time either. Yeesh!)
I'm still trying to figure out how to handle frequent art bloggers like Renee French and Debbie Drechsler (below). Pick one post to highlight each week? Any suggestions or preferences?
Also, some credit: I think I was inspired subconsciously to start these "Things to see" posts by Robot 6's Comics Cavalcade posts.Jeremy Eaton does the cover and cover story illustrations for the current Seattle Weekly
Your periodic roundup of visual stimuli, still in its embryonic stages: