|Daily links: 12/9/08|
|Written by Mike Baehr | Filed under Zak Sally, Tom Kaczynski, Tim Lane, The Comics Journal, Steve Ditko, Peanuts, Mort Walker, Love and Rockets, Los Bros Hernandez, Lilli Carré, Leah Hayes, Jaime Hernandez, Gilbert Hernandez, Dash Shaw, Daniel Clowes, Blake Bell, art shows, Anders Nilsen, Alexander Theroux||9 Dec 2008 11:58 AM|
The 2008 Best-Of lists are rolling in fast and furious:
• Bookmunch goes Fanta-crazy this week with reviews of Bottomless Belly Button by Dash Shaw ("graphic novel of the year"), Funeral of the Heart by Leah Hayes ("dazzling") and Abandoned Cars by Tim Lane ("spirited")
• Critic and commentator Alan David Doane names The Education of Hopey Glass by Jaime Hernandez his Graphic Novel of the Year; Abandoned Cars by Tim Lane is his Debut of the Year; Ghost World: Special Edition by Daniel Clowes is his Reissue of the Year; Strange and Stranger: The World of Steve Ditko by Blake Bell is tied for Comic Art Book of the Year; and 4 more of our titles are Other 2008 Titles of Note
• New York Magazine names Bottomless Belly Button the #2 Graphic Novel of 2008, saying "Shaw's dysfunctional-family epic is so funny and engrossing we'd expect Oprah to pick it, but for all the graphic frog sex"
• PW also presents a 10-page excerpt from Anders Nilsen's soon-to-arrive Monologues for Calculating the Density of Black Holes
• Wall Street Journal book critic and Laura Warholic novelist Alexander Theroux weighs in on The Paris Review Interviews, Vol. III